off-topic - mechanicsville [General]

2012 Jun 23
I know most of Ottawa pretty well but not this area. I figured foodies like myself know most of the city pretty well since we are always trying to find the newest gem...we get around :D

So Im curious...what do you think about living in this area?

2012 Jun 23
We recently moved OUT of that area (3 years ago). Once the condos started to go in, I knew I had to get out. You can't say Mechanicsville without saying Hintonburg, and the developers are trying to make Hintonburg the 'new' Glebe. I just wanted a nice place to live, a short walk to Tunney's. It was cheap and a bit run down, so getting a cheap, run down house in the area wasn't a problem, but I don't imagine the same is true anymore. The housing is a bit close, so either get to know your neighbours or learn to avoid them. It all depends on what street you live on. Seriously, one street either way can make all the difference.

There are lots of new restaurants popping up in the area all the time (this is good AND bad), and if you have a dog, a double-wide stroller, a laptop, and a big wallet, there are coffee shops that are made just for you.

There are only a couple of large grocery stores in the area and you would probably need a car to get there. There are lots of little shops that offer lots of little things, but again, car.

This is not to say that I hated the area. It was just a bit rough and tumble. You have the Carleton and Elmvale taverns. There are lots of specialty food shops for veg, fish, halal, even bread now.

It used to be both cheap and interesting. Now, unfortunately, neither.

2012 Jun 23
Yeah I tried to search nearby for grocery stores as I don't drive..that was my main issue. Got some H and H place but that seems like a convenience store.

The only other things I care about are crime and the place I'm renting to be very clean, etc I don't care if it takes me awhile to get to other places (restaurants, malls, work, etc)

2012 Jun 23
We live in Hintonburg (Parkdale/Wellington). The Herb& Spice is nearby and between there and Giant Tiger (groceries are upstairs), there isn't a lot we need to drive to Metro or Loblaws for (juice, mainly). Al Jazeera has meats, as does Sasloves and Wellington Fish Market; the Parkdale Market has lots of fantastic in-season veggies; there are lots and lots of little restaurants and shops. It's an extremely pedestrian-friendly area.

Housing is expensive and close together, though, and even in the 'Burg it can be a little dodgy on a street-by-street basis (though nothing like when we bought our house in 2001). It's getting to be a little infested by condos and hipsters, but overall that's not the worst thing in the world as it has helped clean up some of the other problems in the area. I'll be happy if the condo-building slows down, though, as it makes the traffic stupid at times (probably why I prefer to walk instead of use the car for errands in the neighbourhood).

FWIW, a lot of places around here don't list their rentals. They stick a sign on the lawn. It might be worth scouting it out at a lower-traffic time of day.

2012 Jun 23
The 5:30 am hooker is back at the corner of McCormick and Wellington, in case anyone wants a morning quickie some time. I sometimes see her on the way to the dojo.

Regarding a car I think you'd have to be pretty lazy to say you NEED one here. Metro is a reasonable walk from just about anywhere. And as my wife mentioned Al Jazeera has (really good) meats. But if you really want a car, there are tonnes of Vrtucar locations all around Hintonburg.

I love it here but I am glad we got in while it was cheap.

2012 Jun 23
I'm looking at around 100-400 parkdale..the areas closer to river..around where those government buildings are. But yeah not that I do it daily or anything but a friend and I do 15-20km walks. One time we walked from Rideau Centre to the Airport..so I have no issues with walking 1 to 1.5km.

2012 Jun 23
Hintonburg is great. I used to live here about 10 years ago, then moved back into the hood more recently. The area has undergone massive transformation, mostly for the better. One street to watch out for is Ladouceur, drive down that street one day to find out why. Lots of little shops, walking distance to groceries and the beer store, transitway nearby, hospitals, schools, dentists, close to little Italy and Chinatown... The list goes on. Despite most people's impressions, this is a very safe neighbourhood.

Renting or buying? I have a line on both for you. DM me.

2012 Jun 23
Seems my post got eaten, if it shows up apologies for the double.

We're in the established condo at 202 Hinchey aroundabouts Scott and Parkdale, pretty much where Mechanicsville meets Hintonburg. The area South-east of us is undeniably rough and will stay that way due to the low-income housing. That said, we haven't had a problem in 5 years, and we're a short walk down Hinchey to the River.

30 minutes to Superstore, 40 minutes to downtown, 5 minutes to Tunney's, we lived without a car for 4 years and were fine. We have a little one on the way so we got a car and we'll be heading home to Orleans in a few months.

Development isn't slowing down and should continue for at least 2 years, and that's assuming the market starts dying. Otherwise, expect more gargantuan towers on south Parkdale, Tunney's, and a war of attrition between developers and the various community organizations. But if you're not driving and not buying you'll be grand.

Traffic, hipsters, and Westborogians not withstanding, it's a nice place to rent. Unit in our building being let I believe.

2012 Jun 24
My significant other lived on Ladouceur when we met, so my experience is about ten years old and probably outdated, but here it is for what it's worth. It was mostly very poor and very rough back then, although some of the places had been renovated. I'm not sure if the outlaw bikers still have a clubhouse on Ladouceur. Although there were no problems from them,it did kind of flavour the neighbourhood. The house had metal grates over the windows and a sign at the front door that said "Ring Bell and STAND BACK", I assume so the cameras could get a clear shot of whomever was at the door. One day we saw city councillor Joan Wong go to the door and enter, and we wondered if we would be the last to ever see her. In those days it was not a street where I would want to raise kids. There were no yards to speak of, and the houses were right on the sidewalk so the kids were always dashing around the cars on the street and more than once I witnessed minor accidents. Glad it was never worse.

One spring morning we were having coffee on the porch and overheard the following conversation being shouted across the street between two neighbour ladies: "Della! Della! C'mon over for an eye opener!" "Sure! I'll bring a sixpack but I gotta go in an take a piss first". And we did find condoms and needles on the street from time to time. So not a kid friendly place for a few reasons in those days.

The other thing that happened routinely in the winter was that water lines to the houses used to freeze often. Not sure why. I remember one winter when the city had to run temporary water service lines to most of the houses on the south side at the top of the hill.

It was an interesting few years and we used to think that it would have been great if the street were cleaned up a bit, but we were glad to move to a less chaotic place. Not sure if things have since improved on Ladouceur, but we were to leave and find a place in Westboro Beach, north of the transitway and west of Churchill that was actually less expensive than the rent on Ladouceur.

I hope things are better now, and certainly the shops and services along Wellington are much improved, but had to share my Ladouceur history.

2012 Jun 28
As Zym said: "Metro is a reasonable walk from just about anywhere." It's also open 24 hours! Parkdale market is a real bonus, I wish it was open later in the evening ... Did anyone mention the large beer store on Scott street close to Holland Avenue? That's an added convenience ... A few years back our real estate agent wanted us to look at a house on Pinhey street she said it was "cute as a button" we didn't bother and ended up finding something in West Wellington, we laughed as a few years later, the citizen had a 2 page spread saying that Pinhey street had one of the worse reputations in the city ... All in all, the area has a strong community association and good schools (Devonshire) and an interesting/mixed vibe. Just wish it was a shorter walk to downtown.

2012 Jun 28
Devonshire is not the only good school - my kids go to Connaught and it is absolutely fantastic. It is one of the lowest scoring schools in the province in those ratings - which only demonstrates to me how meaningless those ratings are. It scores low because a very high percentage of students are either immigrants or low income. We love that school - the teachers are all so engaged. And as an added bonus it is a "beacon" school (i.e. low income) so they get extra funding from the province. Guess what - no fundraising! Yay! Kids are not always coming home with junk to push on family and friends

2012 Jun 29
If you are looking at the north end of parkdale, you should consider the other side of Tunney's pasture, north of Wellington and the transitway. Some of the homes there have been converted to multi unit apartments. I lived in a great place at the north end of Northwestern for years that had a fireplace, gourmet kitchen and a great garden. In the winter you could put on your skis on literally at the back door and open the gate to tunney's and have access to the whole western parkway. Unfortunately most of these apts. don't come up often, and you just have to get to know the neighbourhood and watch for signs.