French Fries & Salt [General]

2012 Jun 18
Is it just me, or does anyone else share this pet peeve of mine;

You get a nice hot, of greasy chip wagon fries, pull one out in its magnificent golden glory and notice - NO SALT!

I have noticed this more and more. Is it not a given to put salt on french fries? After all, what makes McD's fries so popular - the salt!

And don't try and tell me, "just add the salt after" - IT WILL NOT STICK! I will put vinegar and then salt, but again, it will not stick the same way that it would stick and infuse with the tasty greasy outer layer.

Now that I notice this, I will ask to have my fries salted immediately after coming out of the fryer. For your sake, I suggest you do the same.

/RantAfterFeedingMyCravingOnlyToBeLeftSaddened&Disappointed

2012 Jun 18
Agree 100%!

When salting the fries I make, I also prefer using sea salt ground in my salt mill, rather than just using pinches of kosher salt.

I feel the uniform distribution of the finer grind works better. (That or I just fail at applying kosher salt evenly.)

2012 Jun 18
Try them with no salt for a while and you'll get used to it. Then, once you'll have fries with salt you'll find them way too salty.

2012 Jun 19
The solution: GRAVY! ;-)

Well, I suppose its more of a colloid than a solution, but you know what I mean.