Your recommended butcher? [Food/Vendor]

2012 Jun 8
All this talk about Aubrey's and Kahoot makes me a little disgruntled obviously because I'm still debating whether to take the restrictions and continue using my coupon despite Aubrey's being quite overpriced. Nonetheless, I'm hoping that the knowledgeable folk here at OF can recommend a great, more reasonably-priced butcher shop I can frequent once this little ordeal is over.

I remember seeing a thread about this a long time ago (years?) but I can't seem to find it anymore so I thought I'd restart it for some help finding great steaks/veal/lamb/sausages and start building a relationship with a great neighbourhood butcher :)

For the time being, I can get my duck/free-range chickens/pork cheaper and well-cut at Asian grocers and I do love Piggy's Market, though only when I'm feeling a little more splurge-worthy.

2012 Jun 8
Great staff at Around the Block Butcher Shop .

Best to read the info in the Brian's link.

Some beef from O'Brien Farms ... local non antibiotic beef.

Most of Brian's beef is from Alberta.

Can special order lots of stuff.

2012 Jun 8
if you live in the west end at all - the butchery in bells corners is a great spot, with awesome service and a great selection.

2012 Jun 8
The best butcher and the best meat bar none is from (Manotick Village Butcher) MVB in my experience. I have been to The Butchery, Brian's, Pete and Gus, Piggy Market, Aubrey's, Saslove's etc, but my opinion remains unchanged.

If you can't get to Manotick Village Butcher, then just go to any old butcher, and choose dependent on whether you like the service or not since no other butcher does the whole local thing... i.e, you get beef from Alberta, lamb from Colorado etc.

2012 Jun 8
If you want someplace that is right in Ottawa, I like Saslove's. Both locations are good, but Wellington st. has more prepared foods (love their chopped liver) and the byward market has more interesting types of game meats. But either location can get you anything from the other with notice.

2012 Jun 8
Lavergne Western Beef

Adams Sausages

Both Lavergne Western Beef and Adam's Sausages make all their own cold cuts, cured sausage, BBQ sausage, bacon, and more.

2012 Jun 13
I've tried them all, and I love Brian's the best.

That having been said, if you have another butchery that's closer to you that's been mentioned here, by all means use them! Just because Brian's is my favourite doesn't mean that the other ones are bad. No no no: every single one of these places is great.

2012 Jun 13
Thanks for all the recommendations! It'll take me a while to check out all of them, although I think Brian's and Saslove's are quick drive-able distances, and Lavergne's is on my way to my parents', so those will come first :)

It's perfect too because Father's day always means steaks and sausages on the bbq, so I'll get to visit at least one (if not two) of these butchers before the weekend! Thanks again everyone!

2012 Jun 13
I was a vegetarian in my teens so I'm not the best person to comment on butchers. I do go to Saslove's in West Wellington from time to time as it is the closest butcher to my house. When I lived in the Glebe, I would go to the Glebe Meat Market. No one seems to have mentioned this butcher shop ...

Based on Ottawa Foodies' recommendations, I've shopped at the Bank Street Sausage & Deli (1920 Bank Street) near South Keys a few times in the last few months. I think the owner is originally from the Czech republic so they have an original combination of fresh sausages and smoked items as well as imported packaged goods.

2012 Jun 13
I agree with snoopy loopy I have tried them all as well and MVB hands down has the best meats all locally sourced.