Gas Grills [General]

2012 May 30
I know it's not bbq, but this seems like the most appropriate forum. I am currently on the hunt for a new gas grill. I want good quality with few features. I want it to last forever (I think that means five years) without too much maintenance. If anyone hears of a good sale for father's day (or sooner) please let me know.

If anyone wants to give me their gas barbeque (sorry, grill) because they have gone pro and are using exclusively charcoal, then PLEASE let me know.

Someday I am going to buy an egg, but for now I just want to do some burgers and vegetables outside.

Thanks all.

2012 May 30
First stop, Weber. You should also consider Napoleon and possibly Blue Ember.

Check Home Depot for pricing and models of Weber. There has been a recent price drop on a couple models that should interest you. The $750 model (320) is what I'd recommend.

2012 May 30
Just creating this thread to move discussion from the BBQ thread

2012 May 30
Be careful with a lot of what is on the market today because the pressed steel ones will rust out in a couple of years. The old school cast aluminum are still by far the most durable that you are going to find - and there are still a few of them on the market. People still have 20 year old cast aluminum BBQs - and older. But pressed steel is shite. And stainless not much better.

I've got a Centro you can have since you asked - I got it used a few years ago when a buddy bought an egg. And now I have an egg and will gladly pass it along.

That said it is stainless and pressed steel, and is already rusting out in the bottom. And the grates were gone when I got it but I have been using my cast iron griddles. It is a Centro so you can likely get parts for it. One of the gas distribution bars is new(ish). Was working fine for my use last summer but have not used it since then.

2012 May 30
My heavy gauge Kenmore gas grill is on it's 26th year

... and it's 3rd(or4th) set of lava rocks/ceramic briquettes

... and it's 3rd lower rack to hold briquettes

... and it's 3rd dual burner (cast iron this time)

... and it's 2nd ceramic coated grill

... and a new handle

... and the electric starter is long gone ... BUT ...

... I still love her ... and she sits by my back door all winter long with no cover, never complaining but always ready to go in 10-12 minutes.

She is so prized that she will not go to the landfill but to the Cohen and Cohen Metal shredder.

2012 May 30
I have a hammer like that. I've had it for 30 years! It's gone through 2 heads and 5 handles.

2012 May 30
Napoleon are made in Canada if that matters to you, and are really high quality

Watch out for buying name brands in the big box stores like Home Depot because I've read they get special runs that have slightly lower quality components. So you'll save a few bucks over what you'll pay at Preston Hardware (really excellent selection) or bbqing.com , but it won't be the same thing. A Weber is not a Weber, if that is really true.

Sounds like you don't want to spend a lot - and if you are up to the $500 range you might as well get the ceramic cooker at Costco. Really low end is mostly pressed steel and will be gone in 3 to 5 years. Like I said, I've seen a few cast aluminums out there though it is thinner cast than the old school ones - but still that is where I'd go if I were getting a new gas grill.

2012 May 31
Go with a Napoleon. Talk to the guy at the store - look in the catalog. You can always order the more basic version than what they have displayed (less stainless steel, more cast aluminum). The mechanism, burners are the same, and come with the same lifetime warranty. The warranty on the burners is the best you'll find, and they replace them hassle free if you ever have a problem. (I did with one burner after 3 years).

2012 May 31
True about various models of Weber and others, Zym. The low end models are made in China, where the mid-tier and higher are made in USA.

I would look for a solid lid, tube burners as opposed to H-type, quality grates, avoid gadgets, quality wheels if you ever move your bbq, solid warranty, ease of cleaning (slide out drawer, drip pan, etc) and availability of parts for down the road. This said, Weber hits all of these. You can buy Weber parts for any Weber ever made as far as I know. I've had mine for roughly 8 years and haven't replaced anything yet, but when I do, I know I won't have a hard time finding that part (assuming I don't upgrade).

I'd be sure to check reviews online as well, since you can rarely test a bbq for even heating, etc...plus, most bbq's work very well when new...it's a couple years down the road that you'll notice the quality drop on lesser bbq's. Hot/cold spots develop, rust appears, etc...

2012 May 31
We bought a Weber last year and have been extremely happy with it...except for the puny wheels. What were they thinking?

2012 Jun 1
I think the other caveat is buy a good cover and use it. No matter how good your grill, if it is left out in the rain, it will deteriorate rapidly. Conversely, our 5 year old $199 Broil Mate is still working fine, in part due to the fact that the cover is ALWAYS on.

2012 Jun 1
A cover may be required for the newer chincy grills but not for my 'ol babe.

ottawafoodies.com

26 YEARS !! ... Never a cover ... Just a heavy duty metal frame with a thick aluminum pit. Old school.

I hate built in obsolescence.

2012 Jun 4
I appreciate all your responses. I am currently using a 30 year old broil king that fits the description of a small tank. It has been a great bbq. Unfortunately it now needs new burner, lava rock, etc. I was prepared to fix it up when, the last time I used it, the panel behind the element controls started bubbling. It appears I have some sort of leak that needs to be repaired. I now think that the repair costs would be better spent in investing in a new grill.

After doing some digging and reading your responses, I have decided that the only way to go is either a quality Weber or a Napoleon. This means my bill will be about a $1000. I don't really want to spend that right now.

I then ran into this grill.

www.stokgrills.com

It's a Home Depot house brand. I initially wrote it off as a gimmick, but it appears to be a pretty well-built unit. It is cheap at $339 and so it does not compare to the Napoleon or the Weber, but I think that this is the way I am going to go. It appears that it should last me at least five years. I appreciate the comment about the grill cover. That will be purchased with the grill as it seems to be the key. I am interested in all opinions, good or bad.

2012 Jun 4
The Stokgrill does not use ceramic plates/rocks/chunks above the gas flame .

It uses a "Unique Heat Tent Design to Minimize Flare-ups and Promote Even Grilling Temperatures". Metal plates do not generate as good a smoke from the dripping fat as ceramic. Also harder to use wood chips wrapped in foil to generate wood smoke.

Of the 20 or so grills I've seen with this technology, never have I seen even heat distribution.

As the feature line says "... Promote Even Grilling Temperatures" ... not ACHIEVE even grilling temperatures.

Not a major problem.

One does get used to the 'hot spots' and 'cooler spots' and can even use that to an advantage.

Lots of cheap grills use these 'heat plates' : www.grill-parts.com

If you go ahead with the Stokgrill, please review here.

2012 Jun 4
Unfortunately I have assumed that moving various cooking objects from hotspots to cool spots made the hobby of grilling. I would love to have perfectly even temperature, but I don't think it is going to happen this time :(.

2013 May 6
Bumping this one up again!

I was out looking at a few grills over the weekend, and was leaning towards the Weber Q320... looks like it has nice cast iron gate that will heat up evenly. For a grill abour $400, is there any thing better? I checked out a few Broil Kings', however I'm worried they may only be one of those 3-4 year jobbies...

2013 May 6
Just been reading a gas grill report in June consumer's reports and Weber is clearly the class of the field but no mention of Q320. 3 of the top 5 grills are Webers. Fyi the bargain (under$500) in the top 5 grills is a Char-Broil Gourmet Tru-Infrared found at Home Depot.

Anyone have a Char-Broil?

2013 May 6
www.homedepot.ca

On sale, with free tank, assembly and delivery. If trying to stay under $600, this is one of the top picks IMO.

2013 May 6
But, here's my overall choice without going too crazy - www.homedepot.ca