Meat Slicer Maintenance [General]

2012 May 28
Hi:

I have a relatively cheap waring pro electric slicer. One side of the blade is exposed, and the other side is effectively enclosed. The blade can be removed for cleaning with a dime or large slot screwdriver, and when the blade is removed the rotary mechanism is exposed.

My question is what type of grease is best for such an application. Is there such a thing as a more 'food-safe' grease for butcher's equipment? I am not concerned about sliced food being directly exposed to the rotating components (other than the blade of course) but nevertheless I'd like to use a grease that isn't overtly toxic. I'd appreciate any input.

2012 May 28
Check with waring-pro but I would definitely use a food grade grease unless they say otherwise

There are a number of them available - from vaseline if you want to be a cheapskate, to "keg lube" used in the beer dispensing industry

Vaseline is oil based though and may dissolve other parts if they are not meant to be in contact with an oil based lube - so check the manual for sure. Keg lube is not oil based

2012 May 28
K thanks a lot, that is very helpful.

2012 May 28
A quick google suggests that meat slicers use a silicon based food grade grease - so probably the same thing as keg lube. There is a silicon based plumbers grease that some homebrewers use instead of keg lube since it is a lot cheaper - not sure whether it is certified food grade or not though. And no idea what the slicer grease costs.

2012 May 28
Industrial supply shops like GBS on kent street or industrial solution on industrial road should be able to get you a small tube of food grade lubricants.
Cheers

2012 May 29
mineral oil should be used on slicers. does not get gummy and ruin your machine..... every restaurant i've ever worked in uses it