Frank's Red Hot Sauce [General]

2012 May 24
There seems to be a consensus that many of us restaurant goers are Franked out. This standard vinegary hot sauce definitely is the go to for restaurateurs looking to spice things up. My question is: can anyone recommend a suitable substitute?

2012 May 24
Frankly, that seems to be the problem. Frank's is a very safe choice, as it seems everyone likes it. It's not overpowering, yet kicks in some heat without being offensive. There are others that I prefer for certain types of meals (Sriracha, Thai chili, etc), but Frank's is pretty good for almost anything...and cheaper than many/most hot sauces.

I suppose Louisiana hot sauce is an alternative, but not an improvement IMO. It's nice to see that Frank's has branched out into a few new varieties though.

2012 May 24
As far as mainstream, mass-market hot sauces go... I can't really think of an alternative. I think the Frank's Extra Hot is better than the regular one but maybe too intense for some people. I think they're both better than Tabasco.

Sriracha is beginning to show up everywhere. For asian food writ large, I prefer a chili sauce like sambal oelek.

I have a number of other mass-produced hot sauces at home (mainly from various places near the equator) and while I like them all, I don't think of any of them as all-purpose.

I've seen people argue for an increased use of harissa which I could get behind but even then, it's not a perfect solution. It's also more of a paste then a sauce.

I guess my thoughts are that places that focus on a specific style of food should try and choose an appropriate sauce (and I think many of them do). Places with varied menus/pub grub etc. are probably going to stick with Franks rather than keep multiple hot sauces on hand and I'm at peace with that.

2012 May 24
My answer to any hot sauce question is "Satan's Rage", but apply it sparingly as it is very hot. I'd guesstimate it somewhere in the 100k SHU range, so about fifty times hotter than Frank's or Tabasco, but with the full body of a nice smokey BBQ sauce. Onion, garlic, and sweetness to round it out. I can't rave enough about the flavour, I'd put it on my cornflakes if I could. It's also great on the barbecue for steaks and burgers. It's about $10 for a 5oz bottle so rather pricey, but IMO worth every penny.

For something easy and inexpensive, I'd say Sriracha - the stuff you'll find in every Pḥ house and quite a few pizza joints. Its heat is comparable to Frank's but with a bit more pepper flavour, and it's super cheap from most asian markets.

For something a bit more peppery, try "Pleasure and Pain". It's a step up from Sriracha in both heat and pepperiness, but still on the salty side like Frank & Tabasco. Just don't get it mixed up with "Pain and Suffering" which has a similar label, but is much hotter, and to some people a bit nauseating (sharp acidity).

2012 May 24
For widely available types I tend to buy Grace brand or Tapatio for Latin American style food. Grace brand is similar to Frank's, perhaps a bit hotter, Tapatio is a much more deeper flavour and thicker consistency. Much less vinegar-y. Korean hot pepper paste (gochujang) is also incredibly delicious but not exactly a sauce.

Another hot "sauce" I love is the ground chiles packed in oil in the little container with a spoon provided on the table at many Vietnamese restos. Anyone know what that is exactly?

I also make my own, and prefer it to most commercially available brands. Typically I ferment a variety of fresh, ripe (not starting to dry) peppers for about 4-6 weeks in a 4% saltwater brine. Jalapenos, Habaneros, Red Thai Chiles, etc.

Once the peppers are ready, blend the peppers, seeds and all, to the finest puree possible. Add apple cider vinegar (less potent acidity to my taste but white vinegar would work as well) mixed with a bit of the fermentation brine. This is an inexact science, you are trying to find the right mix of hot, salt and acid at the right viscosity.

Occasionally, I'll add one or more of the following: fresh hot pepper, mexican oregano, roasted green tomatoes or tomatillos, garlic or shallots, etc. to the blender when blending the puree. Tends to work out quite well - but it is a hot sauce for Mexican - Latin American cuisine at that point, I wouldn't dab it on Asian or Middle Eastern food.

2012 May 24
I have about 20 different hot sauces in my house including the standards.

Dan-T's white hot sauce has quite a kick and a unique flavour. I agree with Tracinho about Grace's latinstyle hot sauce being one of the better ones, check out Grace Ottawa (on bank) they have a good selection.

Does anybody know where to Get Habenero Tabasco in Ottawa? I found it at a restuaurant recently and he said he ha to order it from a distributor.

Remember chili's on Sussex? Going back about 8-9 years but that store was just the bees knees....

2012 May 24
EnglishFoodie I do in fact remember Chilly Chiles on Sussex and loved it because of the variety of products and it was within walking distance for me-;) The store moved to Navan but has since closed. According to their website they will eventually be reopening under new management: www.chillychiles.com/

2012 May 24
Tracinho, the chili oil at many Vietnamese restos is available at most Chinatown places. It is for sure available at Kim Bangkok.

2012 May 26
I take Frank's and add crushed garlic and mesquite smoke conentrate to it. You can always customize your sauce for the dish you are preparing. It's a great base to start with.

2012 May 27
I think what puts me off Franks is how dominant it can be in some restaurant's dishes. I did use the extra hot tonight in a buffalo chicken meatball recipe and it tasted great. I guess what I am trying to say is that Frank's Red Hot works as an ingredient in good recipes but fails as a primary flavour in or for the spicing up of some restaurant dishes for me.

2012 May 29
I like the sound of Sunken Dory Rob's concoction. My biggest gripe with Frank's is the lack of flavour in it. I like aromatic, earthy hot sauces, not just liquid heat. I dare say that if we had more flavour-rich mainstream sauces, more people would delve into the wacky world of peppers :)

2012 May 29
Stone Faced Dollies has a good hot sauce. Can't remember the name but it's a small company in NB I think. . . . . . .

2012 May 29
Stone Faced Dolly's uses local Chamomille Desjardins hot sauces. One of them is called Moncton. These sauces are great and usually available at the Landsdowne Farmers' Market. Try the excellent St Lucia flavour.

2012 May 29
I like to pick up different sauces in my travels. In Georgia I got one called "Crystal" that I like. And I'm currently enjoying "Texas Pete"; The variety that's designated as "Hotter". I have never tried customizing them though, so some of the suggestions above have made me want to get a bit more creative. Heading to Texas in a couple weeks so will definitely seek out some new ones.

2012 May 29
When I lived in Toronto, there was a chilli festival at Habourfront in the summer.. Bought some interesting hot sauces then..

2012 May 29
I would love to try these 3 sauces !!!

2012 May 31
I brought home passion fruit hot sauce and tamarillo hot sauce from Ecuador. Both are delicious, but sometimes I just want Frank's...

2012 May 31
I put that &*(^% on everything!

It's a fitting catch phrase, and there aren't many hot sauces that can make the same claim.