Food Fads [General]

2012 May 16
With the Cupcake Craze (fad) waning ... see: ottawafoodies.com

Whats the next Foodie Fad (Craze) .. Ultra-donuts like Suzie Q and Back Lane ?

2012 May 16
I think if someone just opened a great place that served good quality real donuts and coffee, and opened it early in the morning, it would do really well. A formula that has been proven to be successful yet sadly lacking in Ottawa. Not a fan of donuts that are tough and heavy under all the trendy flavored window dressing. Just give me a great "Headlight" - yeast raised donut crispy outside, fluffy inside, filled with buttercream, not custard, and covered with pink icing and another dollop of buttercream in the center.

And next trend? We have great ice cream and gelato in Ottawa (Pascale's, Stella Luna) but how about something like this:
biggayicecream.com/

2012 May 16
Ottawa is always a couple years behind and, judging by what's been happening elsewhere, I'd say macarons are a pretty good bet.

2012 May 17
@blubarry
couldn't have said it better myself -- I was really excited to try Suzy Q but was so disappointed in the doughnut itself for that reason exactly. it felt like work to finish chewing them after the second or two of topping taste had passed. i would really enjoy a doughnut like you described.

2012 May 17
This is what the Dragonlady tells anyone within hearing: just get me a good, solid, plain doughnut that I can roll in sugar. No frosting, no filling, just a proper batter doughnut, deep-fried to perfection that I can dunk into a cup of coffee and not have to worry about it disintegrating on contact.

You see, my aunt introduced her to the perfect doughnuts last summer when we were in New Brunswick. I grew up with them, so I don't see them as special. Maybe this is why I hate most of what I find labelled as doughnuts these days.

2012 May 17
Where in NB do you get the perfect donut? I'll be there in a few weeks for the annual Big Brew ...

2012 May 17
Any kitchen of any of my relatives.
I'll send you a list.

It's a fairly wet dough, almost a batter. Then they are cut out with the traditional cutter and shallow fried in lard. It don't get any better than that.

2012 May 19
My grandmother (NS, then NB) used to make doughnuts like that. Unfortunately, she was a chain smoker so they also tasted like cigarettes. ;)

2012 May 20
Pleaseohpleaseohplease let the next food fad to hit Ottawa be fried pies. This is an easy path to follow.

- doughnuts + southern bbq
- there is some wiggling around at this stage
= fried pies

Simple.

2012 May 25
- doughnuts + southern bbq
- there is some wiggling around at this stage
= fried pies

OMG, I'm still laughing 5 minutes after reading this.

I've had fried pies in New Hampshire and I agree with you...they are out of this world good. Like an old school McDonalds Cherry Pie except 32,000 times better.

2012 May 25
Oh yeah, fried pies....On second thought it's better for my waistline if they don't catch on in Ottawa.

I agree with blubarry et al about the doughnuts. You can getter doughnuts in Price Chopper (in the States) than you can here.

2012 May 25
I have never tried a Susie Q Doughnut, but I HAVE tried a Tom & Sons Doughnut. Best to pick them up right out of the oven. Best Apple Fritters Ever.

2014 Mar 11
* bump *

Latest food fad is $20 gourmet hamburgers.
In a big way.
Make it stop.
That is all.

2014 Mar 12
I dunno, the average 'upper end' pub has had a $14.99 plus tax burger on the menu for decades.

Tacos seem pretty fad-tacular right now.

2014 Mar 12
Avocado on everything-not that it's a bad thing. . . . .

2014 Mar 12
There is one thing that I hope will soon be "fadless" and that is kale in what seems like absolutely everything.

2014 Mar 13
bacon in everything... :(

2014 Mar 13
Is the cupcake fad over ? .... yet ?

2014 Mar 13
I don't predict decreased demand for single serving cakes. Cupcakes aren't really a fad. I do, however, see cupcake shops branching out a little into new, related product areas (coffee, cake pops, chocolates, etc) due to market saturation.

The bacon-kale cupcake (bacupkale?) fad, on the other hand, is finally over! ;-)

2014 Mar 13
Is it OK to confine kale to salads? There's a good reason to eat the stuff after all, unlike cupcakes.
Are k-cups and the like a fad? I say Begone! That's just wasted breath, I'm afraid.

2014 Oct 8
Deep fried tempura maple leaves.

Yeah. Even I can't make this stuff up.

So, FedEx all your raking activity to Japan for instant cash.
What happens next will astound you!

2014 Oct 8
Saw pics of these recently... i have to say they looked pretty tasty.

2014 Oct 8
The fallen leaves are stored in salt barrels for 12 months, then drenched in a sweet batter before deep frying.

www.boredpanda.com

Available at all trendy hipster chocolate milk bars in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

2014 Oct 13
This may be the next fad.
Maybe not.

2016 Feb 18
I've decided, here at Really Horrible Enterprises, to add this new idea I came up with to my seasonal lineup: Artisanal Snow Cakes

I had a really good crop this year and they come in a few different varieties.

Plain - these are the snow cakes you remember from your childhood. Big, soft, fluffy. Nothing beats a good, old-fashioned snow cake.

Salted - with the assistance of the City of Ottawa, I am able to bring these to you in greater quantities than I though possible. Big, fat salt crystals adorn each snow cake and enhance this joyous treat.

I get the snow carted in by teams of Manitoba Ridgeback Beavers, and it is processed in a smoke-free, peanut-free, gluten-full environment.

Call for more details.

2016 Feb 19
"Oh, and I see you have lemon."

"That's not lemon."

2016 Feb 19
I hope you are treating your Manitoba Ridgeback Beavers in an ethical manner. I am shocked that you refuse to use local beavers. Don't make me go to the media with this.

2016 Feb 19
"... from right there where the Huskies go."
-Frank Zappa [Don't Eat The Yellow Snow (Cakes)]

2016 Feb 19
Don't be a naughty eskimo

2016 Feb 20
I tried those tempura or similar Japanese maple and oak leaf desserts.
Suisha had a new year's party and they ordered some foods right from Japan.

I tried some kind of cherry blossom scented? rice cake that had bean paste inside and was wrapped with a pickled oak or maple leaf.

-it was a bit hard to tell what leaf it was it was quite folded

2016 Mar 6
Poutine burrito? Well, I'll have to give that a try. This is a thing that Smoke's Poutinerie is pushing now in Toronto and Montreal, so get them before someone else hears about it and the lines go around the block.

Or, just make your own at home, like I'm going to try to do today.

Since it's a burrito, I may throw in a bunch of hot sauce as well.

2016 Aug 4
I'm putting my money on pig ear sandwiches this year. Yep, I can just see those pig ear trucks lining the boulevard, shoving out that great food to the hungry masses.

"soooooooEEEEEEE! Come get yo pig ear sammiches!"

2016 Aug 4
Interesting,
I only like stuff with porc if it is crispy.

But the doc is interesting- was not planning on watching the whole thing...
I actually have some old original Cab Calloway records!

You can not get a lot of food in Canada for $1, it seems.