St. Albert's cheese in bulk ? [General]

2012 May 14
Hail foodies!

I'm a complete nut for St. Albert's cheddar and curds, but having adapted to the urban lifestyle, I don't drive anymore. Is there anywhere in the centre or Nepean that sells the larger sizes of cheese, like the 1kg bricks and bags ? Or alternately, does anyone deliver ?

Eons ago, one of the local schools did their fundraising by selling big blocks of St. Albert cheese instead of the usual chocolate almond bars. If memory serves, we went through about 15kg of cheddar and 3-4kg of curds every month.

Any ideas ?

2012 May 15
Holey cheese batman..... That's an incredible amount of cheese lol. I'd simply call them and ask who their local distributors are. Say you want to buy in bulk.

2012 May 15
we get St Alberts delivered for our business. However, when we are in a bind we get it from the National Grocer cash and carry on Cyrville Road or Tannis on Catherine across from the bus terminal. Produce Depot carries it, in small batches. Also, try Cheddar Et Cetera in Orleans.

2012 May 15
Dumouchel Meats in Vanier/Overbrook carries a huge selection and gets fresh curds daily and they deliver.

2012 May 15
I know you say you dont drive, but I do have to ask if you have ever had a fresh cheese block from St. Alberts.... now THAT is good stuff worth the drive out to the factory! Never refridgerated, and still warm to the touch...essentially a giant cheese curd block. YUM!

2012 May 15
Billco I'm pretty sure I have seen the bricks of cheese at Costco at Merivale and Hunt Club.

2012 May 15
If you're eating 15kg of cheddar a month, which equates to about a pound a day, you should worry less about where you're getting your cheese and more on where the nearest defibrillator is.

2012 May 15
LOL...he did say 'we' not 'I'. Could be a big family, or a large hockey team. I assume it wasn't the Royal 'we'.

I think I remember that one of the cheese places in the Byward Market sold cheese in large blocks, but I can't remember if it was specifically St. Albert or if it might have been Balderson or some other one.

I do like that idea for fundraising. My children's nursery school used to do Equator Coffee, either one of those for us would be more attractive than the usual chocolate covered almonds or candy bars or popcorn.

2012 May 15
Inkling Yes! I think those blocks are available at the International House of Cheese. It's either there or the House of Cheese but I'm pretty sure it's the International one that sells the blocks. And it is definitely the St. Albert cheese they sell in blocks.

2012 May 15
St Albert does do school fundraisers. Don't know how much profit there is for the schools but it is certainly an easy sell, and agreeing with Inkling, much better than most of these fundraising foods!

2012 May 19
Yes sir, back when I still drove, I visited the co-op every few weeks for my fresh cheese fix, along with a small block of the 5-year cheddar - murder on the stomach, but oh so crumbly decadent in the mouth.

And yes, I eat anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 lb of cheese per day. Bear in mind, even though I'm no bodybuilder, I have 62" shoulders so there's a lot of me to feed, and a plate of cheddar is far more enjoyable than whey isolate shakes :)

I will check out the IHOC next time I'm downtown. Alternately, if any of your kids do the fundraising, hook me up :D

2012 May 20
I have to smile, reading this. We always had a giant block of cheese in the fridge when I was growing up. It was a regular thing for me to dig the block out and cut off a slab just something to nosh on. At 6'1" and 160# in grade 8, I ate everything in sight. Unfortunately, it didn't help me to put on weight. Cheese was a huge part of our lives and still is, thank the old gods and the new.

2012 May 20
That's a lotta cheese you eat Billco - maybe you deserve a consumer award nomination from Dairy Farmers of Ontario!
I doubt anyone sells those big blocks of St . Albert's cheese for fundraisers anymore, smaller pieces maybe. I saw 10 lb blocks of fresh St. Albert cheddar yesterday in Winchester at Mike Dean's store next to the Timmy's on Highway 31 at 43 and they sell for ~$100 or so, $22/kg. I bought a nice cut of fresh St. Albert - love it, but have never been crazy about their old, preferring Mapledale for my 5, 7 or 8 year old cheddar cheese nirvana.

2012 May 21
62" shoulders? Over five feet across? I am presuming that's a typo.

2012 May 21
I think he means around his shoulders, similar to chest measurement. 62" wide would be pretty extreme...haahha

2012 May 24
LOL yes that's circumference. Width is about 25"

If it means I'll die young from excess cheese and beer, so be it :D

2012 May 24
Well then, you're a tiny, tiny man because I'm a 44" and not that big. I think Ravi might be a 62".

;)