Morel Mushrooms [General]

2012 May 10
Morels are finally here.........found 4 nice grays yesterday in the rain (camera doesn't like the rain). Looked forward to this all winter, and will be happily hunting all weekend. May your honey spots be productive!

2012 May 10
Can these be purchaised anywhere around town? My knowledge of mushroom forreging is very poor, thus, I wouldn't even know where to start looking.
No do I want to pick the wrong one and get sick :S.

I had some morel's in a dish at Gordon Ramsey's Maze in New York, and it was absolutely amazing.

2012 May 10
This is a good morel.

2012 May 10
This is a bad morel.

2012 May 10
They sell them at the Byward Fruit Market, but they're from Turkey. I'd love to know who (perhaps a kind Ottawa Foodie?) sells local ones...

2012 May 10
Yes, morels have been here now for almost a week! I sell local ones, but restaurants claim my supply, demand is always high for these beauties. Happy foraging mushroom lovers!

2012 May 11
Lots of great photos/finds from the last discussion on morels/mushrooms here:
Forum - Please post your morel hunting photos!!

2012 May 12
The folks who own our old farm went to a neighbor's bush after milking Thursday and harvested this display to enjoy this weekend.

2012 May 12
To enjoy the wonderful weather, I went foraging this afternoon with low hopes. An hour and a half later, I was ready to pack it in when I stumbled upon some scattered morels, as far as I can tell. It was my first time foraging -- can someone please confirm that I shouldn't die eating these? One of them had a hole in it (the biggest one, sigh). Should I pitch it or can I eat it if cleaned properly etc?

2012 May 12
Nice. Unfortunately, my foraging session today was more angering than fruitful; I found big patch of false morels (beefsteak I believe), mocking me with their toxicity...
PB&A, the ones in your picture look good, the features you are looking for are: cap connected to the stem, hollow all the way through (in one chamber), the cap will be covered in ridges and pits. A good test is to slice it in half top to bottom to see the hollow stem and connected cap. If you've got multiple samples and you're not sure, just to be safe, clean the knife between cuts (if you cut a poisonous one, then a non-poisonous one you could transfer the toxin to the edible one). Ultimately, make your own call but if you're not absolutely confident, don't go for it (no old, bold mushroom hunters).
False morels are also hollow but have multiple chambers, they've got a weird lobey texture to the outside (like a brain) and sometimes caps that are not connected to the stems. There is a half-free morel where the cap is only partially connected to the stem, and some sources claim it is edible, but it can be mistaken for another type of false morel, which can make you sick so I wouldn't mess around with half-free's (though I've never found one). Do not eat unless cap and stem are connected and hollow all the way through, with the ridge/ pitted cap. A morel with multiple chambers, non-connected, lobed cap is no good.
The hole in the one in your pictures shouldn't be a problem, unless it's due to rot. They usually need to be washed anyways, lots of forest dirt, pine needles, the occasional bugs.

2012 May 13
Thanks for the tips. I had done some reading and this confirmed it. I think they're all good -- I've never had them before so I'm looking forward to eating them!

I saw a bunch of other mushrooms today too. I'm going to take a stab at identifying them and I might be back for some confirmation if anyone's willing to help out. Obviously, I eat at my own risk and wouldn't blame anyone else.

2012 May 14
Those are morels and look safe to eat. If anyone needs help with identification you can contact me directly on here and I'll give you my email address.

2012 May 14
This might be a good place to remind people that morels are only safe to eat once cooked...

2012 May 17
Hooray, finally some foraging luck. I spent over 3 hours stomping around in the woods, almost 3 dozen found. So worth it.

2012 May 18
Hatman, nice haul! Unsolicited tip: Cut or pinch the stem near the base to ensure healthy mycelium for next season! Happy hunting!

2012 May 18
Nice haul hatman, cruised most of my property this week and came out empty handed.

2018 May 10
Upon hunting. I saw this so-called psilocybe-semilanceata. Have you heard the psilocybe-semilanceata? It looks new to me and I check this article www.trufflemagic.com it is a magic mushroom that produces strong hallucinogenic effects. It’s also one of the most widely-distributed psilocybin mushrooms in nature. This hallucinogenic mushroom fruits alone or in small clusters on rich, and acidic soil. It has a partiality to growing in grasslands such as pastures, meadows, and lawns which have been enriched with sheep or cow dung but it doesn’t directly grow on dung.

2018 May 10
Does it go well with SPAM?

2018 May 10
Which ones give you super powers?