Albert Street Lunch? [Food/Vendor]

2012 May 8
My job requires me to work out of the Trebla Bldg (473 Albert) 1 out of every 3 weeks(ish). I only have 1/2 hour away from my desk - someone please tell me there's at least edible food (preferably cheap) that I can walk to in that timeframe? I can't take my car, never have bus tickets, and oh my god is the quickie mart expensive :-(

2012 May 8
Some of my favourites

$10 Range;

Carribean Sizzler (Bank St)
Manhattans Mandmade Burger (Laurier)

$5 Range

Pizza slice at Bread & Sons (Bank St)
Quiznos

I have a few more spots but cant think of them at the moment... too hungry...must go for lunch....

2012 May 8
LadyIsebet I worked in the Trebla building a few years ago and it is truly a foodie wasteland at that end of town-;)

Having said that Constitution Square is nearby and there is a food court there if memory serves me right. Green Rebel is in that building and has been getting good reviews on this site.

Cafe Saffron is on Kent near Gloucester has also been getting reviews on OF and is in the area. Might be a bit of a hike though.

German Town Deli is on Slater just off Bank. Also a bit of a hike but the soups alone are well worth it.

The Clarica Building, 240 Sparks and Minto Suites office building all have food courts.

2012 May 8
I agree with Pasta Lover that you're in a bit of a tight spot. Nearby(ish)... you've got the Scone Witch and Ricardo's pizza. The sparks/lyon food court is close enough does have a corner kitchen which is a reasonably priced bet.

Otherwise I agree with most of the above suggestions including Carribean Sizzler, and German Town Deli. The Laurier/Kent area is home to some of the aforementioned food courts and Cafe Saffron.

The cheapest of the above-mentioned are probably German Town or pizza.

2012 May 8

Is that 1/2 hour to get food an eat it or to get the food (and eat at your desk) ?

Green Rebel is at Albert and Kent and it's pretty good - the line is long but quick-moving and I believe you can order online in advance to hasten things further. (There is another Green Rebel at Bank and Queen too).

Cafe Saffron (Kent and GLoucester) is good, but it often has really long line-ups, and you could easily spend 15-20 minutes just getting your food and paying, not counting the time to walk there and back.

The Minto building (On Slater, between Kent and Lyon) has several edible options (no excellent ones that I have tried, but I haven't tried the burger place or the shwarma place).

Pizza at Bread and Sons (Bank and Gloucester) is good and fast, if it's within your acceptable walking distance. I think the only pizza options are vegan or vegetarian, but I might be wrong about that.

I love both Scone Witch 9Albert, Lyon) and Ricardo's Pizza (Bay, Nepean) (I live in the area), but I don't know what they'd be like for speed on a weekday at lunchtime - I'd be a little skeptical about whether you could keep a strict 1/2 deadline unless you ordered by phone in advance at either place.

The food court at 240 Sparks (Kent/Bank/Queen/Sparks) has decent options and is usually pretty quick. The Marcello's buffet there also seems to be nicer than the one in the Minto building, although I assume the deli options are the same.

At Bank/Laurier there is a Persian Cuisine Express that looks like a hole in the wall, but actually has decent (and quick) lunchtime offerings.

I think Place de Ville has a food court, but I am wholly unfamiliar with it.

The Bay Street Bistro (Albert/Bay) lunchtime buffet is cheap, but it's not take-out and your mileage may vary on whether it's edible.
I consider it acceptable food for "going to lunch with a group of co-workers" but otherwise avoid it as being only barely food-like.

I haven't tried German Town Deli, but several of my co-workers swear by it.

The shwarma place at Bank/Slater (I forget the name of it) is pretty good and quick.

2012 May 8
Some great suggestions above!!!

**My votes:**

Corner Kitchen - My favorite lunch option downtown. Kent and Laurier, in the tax court of Canada building. Amazing curries, thai food, sandwiches, soups, virtually everything. And it is high quality, good value and friendly service.

Cafe Safron - IMO, this place is not as good as Corner Kitchen, mainly because of chincyness and curt service. The food is very good though.

German Town - See above

Pip and Nino's - Best sandwich (italian style) downtown. On sparks next to the Cock and Lion, just at bank.

Bay Street Bistro - their lunch buffet is kind of weak, but it'll fill you up. I order mussles every time at the bay. 11 bucks for the hugest bowl. They are very good too. Great Tap and scotch selection!

Whalesbones Supply - if it is ever a nice day, call the Whalesbone ahead, and walk down to Kent and Catherine. It'll be ready when you get there, and you can eat it on the walk home. I feel so great knowing that while my colleagues eat subway, I'm excersizing and eating Ottawa's best fish, for a reasonable price.

Gooney's Sandwich Works - Easily a competator for best Sandwich downtown. Amazing Salads too. Laurier and Kent.

Manhattans - there are a few manhattans around the downtown. Go to their website, I'm sure you will find a location that is at least kind of close to you.

Bread and Sons Pizza on Bank - every thing they sell could be listed in the Ottawa's "best of" catagory in the newspaper. Hippy, vegetarian bakery that uses copious amounts of butter in everything they make. Their pizza is - hands down - my favorite in the city. It's closest thing - sans meat - to italian pizza you can get in slice form.

2012 May 8
I second many of the suggestions above, most specifically Corner Kitchen. It's got tons of selection, many really healthy choices and the prices can't be beat. My favourite thing is a quiche and salad - it's just over $6 incl tax. So yummy! As well, I second the love for Manhattans. I've only been to the store front location on Laurier, but they make a club sandwich there that kind of changed my life.

There's also a great Persian place on Laurier near Bank and they do a great lunch plate with selections including shish kebab, a lamb dish, and my personal favourite, a turkey dish that has a sort of pomegranate sauce. It's yummy. Selections change daily and you get rice & salad with it for around $8.

In the upstairs food court at Bank & Laurier there is a really good shawarma place that makes the best fattouch salad ever. With chicken on top, garlic sauce and hummus it's around $6.

And to round out my picks, if you're feeling like you need a "food from a truck" fix, there is a chip wagon at Slater and Kent that is pretty quality.

Also, German Town makes the best mushroom soup in the city. It's only offered on Wednesdays but it is fabulous and totally takes me back to my childhood.

2012 May 8
If you're looking for a cheap fillup, there's always Barbarella's. It's $2 for the all-you-can-stomach lunch, but the beer is fairly expensive. The entertainment is sometimes on the sketchy side as well.

2012 May 9
The Place de Ville food court features a Manhattan's, 2 Corner Kitchens, a Subway, and a decent Vietnamese place called Claypot which is more Asian fusion. Salty but delicious sauces here.

If you are looking for a quick soup and fresh sandwich or wrap, there is a small cafe on the 2nd floor of the commercial tower inside the National Hotel (formerly the Delta). Stairs from the hotel lobby area pretty much lead right to it. I also like the chipwagon on Sparks at Lyon (right behind the National).

Quality Indian fare can be had at India Palace on Albert at Kent. The buffet is not overly large, but the options are all pretty delicious. Rich, oily sauces that make going overboard at lunch easy. Lately though I share the cost of 1 takeout buffet order ($15) with a coworker and split the food at the office - the container they give you is pretty large and you can pile a lot in there. Of course only one of us goes in to select the food. The soup they serve is also very nice.

Just about beside the India Palace, the Treats on the corner has better-than-expected homemade sandwiches and other entree specials. More than just coffee and muffins.

2012 May 9
Try to make friends with someone who works at the Bank of Canada. They have a cafeteria with interesting daily selections and very good quality for caf. food, but it's beyond security. Or if you make friends with the governor, his chef does some pretty amazing stuff in the private dining room. :)

2013 Mar 4
Green Rebel (Queen Street door / inside 99 Bank) Busy yes but a good busy - they manage their orders efficiently so you are served in a few minutes. Courteous, respectful ... Service with a smile .. Many smiles actually. Quality ingredients with a consistent outcome.

Green Rebel (Albert/Kent) same as above

Best value for great quality clean food!
👍👍👍👍👍
--------------
Now the Bad

Le Monde at 99 Bank - pizza guy is moody - everyone else is nice

Shawarma Andalos at Minto Place - offended beyond words

India Palace - nice staff - had aftermath - went back - same outcome - regrets

Cantor - Albert (between Bank / Kent) - owner is warm - sweet & sour meatballs - sauce is 70% ketchup - coffee cups are styrofoam

Marcello's inside 99 Bank - hot / cold cafeteria style buffet is priced by the gram - kept it light otherwise your wallet will empty rapidly - food is cafeteria grade.

There are a number of good places - I will contribute more on those - just wanted to share my experiences as I am still shawarming with the offensive treatment listed above that occurred tonight.

No to bad service and bad food - we are their bread & butter (period).

2013 Mar 5
Germantown Deli: Soup/chili and a sandwich for <6$. And FAST.

2013 Mar 5
Some excellent suggestions above.

Note that the SouthernCross at Queen and Bay does not appear among them, and draw your own conclusions.