Restaurant inspections [General]

2012 May 3
Apologies if you all already know this, but I just discovered that the results of City inspections are available online. I searched on a few places - some surprising results.

www.ottawa.ca

2012 May 4
You can also follow it on twitter. twitter.com/#!/restowatch

2012 May 9
I found that restaurant inspection does not do a good job when compared with those in Gatineau. I heard that Gatineau food inspection is very strict and each vendor MUST comply with the rules. In Ottawa, many Chinese restaurants should fail the inspections (e.g.,many rodents in the kitchen and they won't show up during inspection time when there are people working in the kitchen), but they pass (I heard many horrible stories from those who work in Chinese restaurants in Ottawa).

2012 May 9
Doesn't matter how dirty those 'ethnic' kitchens are .... no one has died ... yet.

The picture is of rats dining in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant in Toronto.

See ... Toronto has it worse than us.

2012 May 9
Which is really too bad, because Dumpling House Restaurant on Spadina actually had really tasty dumplings.

2012 May 10
The one in Toronto was just lucky to be caught. Ottawa is not much better. A particular one that I remember was that a mice fell from a ceiling pillar, and guess where it fell. It fell right to the pot which was slow-cooking the congee (with the lid open for slow-cooking). The owner just picked the mice up and didn't throw away the congee. I guess that congee would not kill any customers since it was fully cooked.

Once I heard that story, I don't have any courage to go to that restaurant any more.

2012 Aug 29
I have a question about these inspections. Are restaurants ever permanently closed, or do they ever have sanctions taken against them for repeatedly being found "Not in Compliance"?

Last year, myself and about five friends all became sick after eating at a restaurant on Rideau. I have no proof that this was food poisoning, but all of us who chose meat entrees were sick, while those who chose vegetarian entrees were not, so I can't imagine that it was anything else. I notice that this particular restaurant has been inspected 13 times in the last 15 months, and 11 of those inspections resulted in a "Not in Compliance", 8 of them "Critical". Clearly the management and staff at this restaurant aren't interested in following basic food safety and don't really care about the possibility of making their customers ill (or worse). I learned my lesson about following my instincts (the place was filthy) and checking inspection reports before eating in a restaurant, but shouldn't something be done to protect other diners who aren't doing their homework? What is the point of these inspections if nothing is done when restaurants are constantly found in violation?

2012 Aug 29
I think that is a question best addressed to the city (Public health maybe) and your counsellor. I would hope that there is some sort of sanction for repeat offenders.

2012 Aug 29
Funny you should ask that, I was ill after a meal from a restaurant on Bank St a couple of weeks ago. Looking at their inspection report, it appears that they have continually been pulled up for, amongst other things, failure to "separate raw foods from ready-to-eat foods during storage and handling" as well as "hot holding: minimum of 60°C (140°F) after cooking / rapid re-heating". Their last failures on these fronts were July 6th and July 9th of this year, on both occasions the restaurant's overall inspection result was marked as "Not in compliance". Yet it's still open and making me ill - why?

2012 Aug 30
Are you guys allowed to post these? I mean technically it is available for the public network. I know this would suck for their business but I think people deserve to know.

2012 Aug 30
I just sent an e-mail to Ottawa Public Health and CC'd my councillor. I'll post any response I get from them here, if people are interested.

I did find this information on the Ottawa Publc Health website:

What actions are taken if a critical infraction is not corrected?
Public health inspectors have many options and means to bring about compliance with food safety standards and regulations. The first priority is to educate the food establishment owner or operator. If the education fails, enforcement options will be used – including fines, prosecution and closure.

I couldn't find any information about how they decide if "education" has "failed", or any information about any "enforcement options" actually being used - maybe it's not publicly available?

I'm reticent to post the name of the restaurant in this forum as in the past some users have said that they don't want the results of these inspections posted here. Plus, although I have no doubt that this restaurant made me sick, I have no proof that that is the case. I did include the name of the restaurant in my note to Ottawa Public Health.

2012 Aug 30
Yeah, I didn't say anything to the restaurant after I was ill so it's not really fair for me to name them having not given them right of reply. I'm just never going to eat there again.

2012 Aug 30
The Huge disclaimer when you click on a search:

"This website is not intended to guarantee the conditions of a food premise at all times and should not be relied upon for that purpose.

Every effort is made to ensure that the information on this site is up-to-date. However, the City of Ottawa cannot guarantee that all information is accurate, complete or current at all times.

Visitors to this site are cautioned against interpreting the status of a particular food premise based on only one inspection."

As someone who has worked in a restaurant during a health inspection, I can tell you that they are very vague with the "not in compliance" ratings. An establishment can get a "non-critical" infraction pretty easily. One example I specifically remember was when the inspector gave a not in compliance because the small wares (spoons, spatulas, etc) were stored improperly (some were upside down in the rack while others were right side up). Even an un-swept floor can get you docked; particularly troublesome for any restaurant with busy, all-day services.
Restaurants can often run indefinitely with non-critical infractions, they'll just never get a pass.

Critical infractions are another story and people should be wary of places that continue to have such infractions after multiple inspections (again using their best reasoning. My favorite vague infraction is "Food protected from potential contamination and adulteration" which can be as simple as not plastic wrapping something, or keeping it too close to an open back door).

Surprisingly, the big chains are usually the cleanest as many of them hire 3rd party inspectors just to ensure they pass the city inspection (they're much more strict than City ones, 98% to pass for some).

2012 Aug 30
I agree 100%, HonestToot. Just as I would never judge a restaurant (or any business, for that matter) on a single poor review, I would never decide that a restaurant was unsafe because of a single serious infraction or a handful of minor ones. Anyone can have an off day, be they a restaurant manager or staff member, or a public health inspector. However, if a restaurant is consistently violating health code on the majority of their inspections over a significant span of time I think it's ridiculous to excuse them because they are "busy" or popular. They are knowingly putting their paying customers' health in jeopardy. If they can't keep up with what needs to be done to keep the public safe, they need to hire more staff or be closed.

According to this article: www.ottawacitizen.com 4 restaurants in Ottawa were given "closure orders" by Ottawa Public Health inspectors in 2011, so apparently this program is not without teeth. I'm interested in finding out more about this, and hope that Ottawa Public Health can provide some information.

2012 Aug 31
I opened up the Ottawa Inspections website and, with great trepidation and trembling fingers, typed in the name of my FAVORITE chinese restaurant. All inspections were 'in compliance'. I am so relieved. If you're looking for fabulous chinese food, check out:
ROYAL TREASURE RESTAURANT
774 SOMERSET STREET WEST
Ottawa,Ontario
K1R 6R2
(613) 237-8827

2012 Aug 31
There we go, that's the way to do it. Let's use this thread to promote restaurants we like that have great hygiene inspection reports - a positive way to spin things!

2012 Sep 2
@feed_me the owner of Royal Treasures is a personal friend of, and used to work with, my mother. We've been eating at her restaurant since she was in the first location. I can assure you, I've been in the kitchen and you could eat off the floors in there...