Need advice on gas stove [General]

2012 Apr 27
I'm looking to upgrade to a gas stove. I would love some advice on a good place to buy one that has seriously knowledgeable salespeople. Any recommendations?

2012 Apr 27
What kind of advice do you need? I bought my Kenmore Pro Dual Fuel from Sears, although I pretty much knew what I was looking for. I'm not sure I could comment on their knowledge, but they were friendly and helpful enough.

That was in stark contrast to Corbeil, where the guy took one look at me, decided I wasn't likely to be able to afford what he had to sell and did everything he could to get me out of there. Again, I couldn't speak to his knowledge of the products because what knowledge he did have, he wasn't interested in sharing with the likes of me.

2012 Apr 27
Did some research and consumers reports rated Kenmore elite at the top. Sales person at sears was knowledgeable on ratings so it was pretty easy going. We also knew what we were looking for.

2012 Apr 27
Gardenforums was a great resource when I was looking for my appliances.

I bought Kenmore Elite for the cooktop and fridge, keep in mind that Kenmore is a Sears brand. That they just slap a label and do very little else over the original manufacturer. What this means is that the line of gas ranges could be a number of different manufacturers, so keep in mind to find out who makes the one that you like. Then research reliability of that model by the original manufacturer.

Also, Kenmore and Kenmore Elite have different warranty periods.

If you're not one for extended warranties, at least buy it on your credit card which should double the manufacturer warranty.

Btw, Blue Star is often at Costco. They're in the class of Wolf and Viking.

Sky is the limit with gas ranges. The Kenmore units are the best value

2012 Apr 27
We got ours at Universal Appliance on Bank st. We had to get ours ordered in special because we wanted the fewest bells/whistles possible. When it came in, we got it at a special sale price. They listened to exactly what we wanted and got it for us. I can't say enough good things about these guys. Their shop isn't the most modern looking, but if you actually talk to one of the sales guys and let them know what you are looking for you will probably find it there.

2012 Apr 27
When it comes to appliances, everybody wants to sell you the bells and whistles. To hear the sales people talk, nobody stocks the basic model of anything. Stick by your guns.

Agree with Rizak - if you get the basic model, you get the benefits of the technology that went into development of the appliance and you don't have to pay for the frills that you probably will never use anyhow.

Also, insist that you don't want the extended warranty or the maintenance plan or whatever they call it. Last time I bought an appliance - I had to tell the sales guy that if he did not stop trying to sell me this stuff, I would leave the store without buying anything. It worked!

2012 Apr 28
Universal Appliances was great in that they sold me out of buying a turbochef oven, nowhere did anyone except the honest sales guy disclosed the ovens hugely significant warming time. So they did right by me there.

Would have bought my GE Monogram glass island hood there as well but USAppliance was half the price and available immediately. I got one of the first from Italy. Universal wasn't getting stock for six months, and the extra 1500$ wasn't great either.

2012 Apr 28
I was also hoping the person would be able to honestly determine what I would need for the amount and type of cooking that I do. Good recommendation about not paying for extra bells and whistles. I doubt I'd need them. Just want fast response time, but also ability to simmer properly.

How do you like the gas oven compared to electric? How is the preheat time?

2012 Apr 28
Preheat is about the same, I guess. I haven't timed it, but the wait is not unreasonable. I'd say 5-10 minutes, depending on the temperature desired.

We had to really look around to find an oven with dials for the burners and a dial for the oven. It still has a digital temperature gauge to indicate what you have it turned to, so I'm not sure this is any better because I find myself fiddling with it until it says 350 exactly. Most ovens now START at 350 and you press a button to move it up or down from there. It has a timer and a timed start, but I've never used that. That's about it. I made sure to get the broiler on the top of the oven and not in the drawer underneath. That's something to keep in mind as well, especially if you plan to ever store anything in the drawer like 95% of the rest of us do.

Let's see ... what brand is it ... GE Spectra XL44. Nice little stove and we've moved it a couple of times already.

2012 Apr 28
My criteria were also that I wanted dials, not buttons, and I wanted a classic industrial look, not one with a large digital display. I also wanted a gas hob and electric oven. I ended up with a Kenmore Pro Dual Fuel and it's fantastic - really well built, lots of gas power, and I like the fact that the two burners on the left side have a bridge over which I can lay the supplied griddle plate. I'd certainly recommend it.

2012 Apr 30
I bought my gas cooktop at Universal Appliances. I found the salesperson to be very knowledgeable and helpful. My cooktop is a GE Monogram with five burners and the back burner in the middle is the one with the highest BTUs. A lot of the cooktops I looked at had the higher BTU burner at the front (for cooking with a wok or searing on high heat) but I do a lot of pasta so I boil a big pot of water on a regular basis and didn't like the idea of boiling water on the front burner.

2012 May 3
Thanks all. I guess it's pretty much agreed that Universal Appliances is the place to go.