The SmoQue Shack - Bad Smell? [General]

2012 Apr 27
Based on all the great reviews from all you foodies (and one from my brother), I have been dying to try this place but just haven't had the time.

My hubby was going out with the boys on Wed night (Apr 25) and I suggested that they go there so at least one of us could try it!

He called me as they exited the restaurant to say that although the food was good (service not so much) - none of the four of them would be back until the smell was dealt with.

I of course said "what smell???". He said that there was a terrible sewage smell in the restaurant that intensified as you walked towards the washroom and then was unbearable once in the washroom.

NOT something you want in a restaurant.

They addressed this with the staff and were told that this problem had existed for the past 3 months and they have had numerous professionals in to deal with it but have not been able to fix it.

I was totally surprised by this as I have not heard anyone mention it on this site and I immediately went onto Ottawa Foodies and re-read all the reviews and....... there is no mention of this from anyone.

SO - Has anyone else who has eaten there come across this?

Blubarry - you were also there on Wed night - did you experience this?

I am SO sad because I have been wanting to go so badly.

2012 Apr 27
I was there two fridays ago, and once more previously within the 3months. No smell, but didn't use the bathrooms there.

Pork Ribs seem to be hit or miss sadly, normally his sauce is spicy and great. sometimes its just bland and meh.. anyhow. to your question.

I know the smell you're talking about, it would turn me off as well. But didn't encounter it.

2012 Apr 27
That's really strange. I've been there at various times, many times (as evidenced by my embarassingly numerous reviews) and never noticed such a smell. Not even while in the washroom.

This isn't to say that a smell doesn't exist, at least sometimes, but that I've not once noticed it. It's really too bad that it was such a turnoff because I do hold this place near and dear to my stomach.

2012 Apr 28
No smell when I was there, but I didn't use the washroom. My friend did though. Maybe it was her fault?

2012 Apr 29
Common source of indoor sewage smell: A trap in a seldom-used drain (most often a floor drain) has gone dry, so sewer smells come up unimpeded. Solution which is more permanent than just adding water periodically is to put a bit of antifreeze in it--it evaporates more slowly.

2012 Apr 29
and another good solution is to install a trap primer which ensures that the drain never dries out.

2012 Apr 30
This wouldn't happen if they took reservations.

2012 Apr 30
Thanks everyone for your replies. It gives me hope that this is not a daily occurrence but one that just wafts in and out occasionally.

I guess the boys must have had some beer that intensified their spidey senses :)

Thank goodness the staff confirmed that it was an issue or I would think he was making it all up.

Based on your responses he is willing to give it another try with me in a couple of months. Result!!