Cauliflower puree [General]

2012 Apr 22
Been trying to perfect this for ages and I think I've cracked it - just produced the most amazing variant. Half a head of cauliflower boiled gently for ten minutes then in the food processor with two tablespoons of mascarpone, season and blitz until fluffy and light. Mix in three crumbled up rashers of smoked bacon and about a tablespoon of chopped rosemary, and voila. It was awesome (and I know there are some restaurateurs on here, if I see it on your menus I'm either suing or coming in to see if yours is better than mine).

Anyone got any other suggestions? I started out doing it as a healthy alternative to mashed potatoes but the mascarpone and bacon kind of knackers that.

2012 Apr 23
Thanks for that! I use steamed and mashed celery root as a healthy alternative to mashed potatoes, but when you top it off with butter, as I do, it probably isn't any healthier...

2012 Apr 27
thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it this week end.
Here is a recipe from food and wine for roasted cauliflower which was quite good.
this was for a large number of people so I scaled it back. This also tasted good at room temp. (maybe just my tastes)

1 head cauliflower, halved, cored cut into 1" florets
1/4 c safflower oil (I don't think I used this much)
1 tsp gr cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
sea salt
1/4 c pine nuts (left out due to guest allergy)
2 tsp cilantro chopped (left out because I don't like it)
1 tsp mint chopped
Preheat oven to 425'F
In small bowl combine oil, cumin, turmeric, red pepper and 1/4 tsp salt
On lg rimmed baking sheet,spread the cauliflower in an even layer.
drizzle cauliflower with spiced oil to coat.
season with salt.
bake for about 1 hour or until browned and tender;
turn the baking sheet 1/2 way through cooking.
meanwhile in pie plate bake pine nuts for about 1 minute, until toasted.
let cool
transfer cauliflower to a large serving bowl.
sprinkle with pine nuts, cilantro and mint.

make ahead:
cauliflower can be roasted then refrigerated over night. reheat before combining with nuts and herbs.