Price of dining out??? [General]

2012 Apr 20
Is it just me, or has the price of dining out skyrocketed in the past few years. To go to say....the Keg for surf and turf, with app, a drink, some house wine and dessert, plus tax and tip is around 100$ for ONE, these days. 35$ and tax for the S&T alone. Hardly an affordable regular outing!

2012 Apr 21
You may be right, but I would say that the quality of dining out has skyrocketed as well. You can still eat cheaply, but compared to even just ten years ago the standard and range of restaurants that's available to us is incredible.

2012 Apr 21
I'd side with Johnny here. It's a difference between cost and value. Surf and turf alone at the Keg might run you $35. That being said, somewhere like Absinthe does a 3-course meal for ~$35-40 (or maybe not anymore...). The quality of food is high and the service tends to be much better than what you'll get at the Keg or Milestones. I'm not trying to shill for Absinthe specifically, but I've seen the manager on here and other sites taking an active role in thanking customers or trying to remedy any shortcomings. I find you don't get that a lot of places. (Shoutout to Beckta, while I'm on the subject).

Or, if dinners at nice places are out of your price range then do what I like to do -- go for lunch. Lots of places run lunch specials. Sometimes it's the same as the dinner menu but at a discount (Play) or sometimes it's a different, but still great menu (someone help me out with an example here since all the one's I'm thinking of have gone out of business... Black Tomato? Maybe there's a lesson in here).

While there aren't as many cheap eats as I'd like, there's good stuff to be had in lower price ranges too. My take on these things is that if you want to just go out to eat, then pick something that you're happy to pay and manage your expectations accordingly. This doesn't mean putting up with subpar everything by going to Dunn's but knowing that a trip to La Bottega for a great sandwich or Bread and Sons for some swell pizza doesn't include table service or water refills etc. That being said, if you're looking for a fine dining experience every once in a while, then figure out what you want to get out of the meal and budget accordingly.

All that being said, I'm not sure that I've ever spent $100/head for a meal in this town... The only time I think I came real close was at Prime 360, an experience I regret to this date. Of course, the bill was jacked up from all the drinks I ordered in order to cope with the fact that I was dining at Prime 360...

2012 Apr 21
I can't agree wiith PB&A more. My dining habits changed drastically many years ago and now I find myself having way more lunches than dinners in Ottawa. I find that when I go to these great restaurants for lunch I get the same excellent food without the cost and the crowds. I don't "dine" everyday but I do eat lunch everyday. And eat well I do ;-)

2012 Apr 21
The price of dining out has definitely jumped but I also find the cost of good quality food in markets and supermarkets has increased significantly. Food prices in general seem to have jumped--though I think the food industry is trying to fool us (milk and butter have stayed low and recently salad ingredients have been regularly low priced). I see staples prices creeping up which of course restaurant $ increases would also make sense. I work in a rural area so lunch options are not something I can comment on. It costs to eat well!

2012 Apr 21
It is possible to dine out reasonably BUT you have to watch what you order. I never order steak in a restaurant, since the price is jacked up so high - it is possible to grill steak for four people at home for the same price you pay for one steak at a restaurant.

Generally, in a restaurant I order dishes that I can't do at home.

2012 Apr 22
I agree with Patricia on this. I can prepare a gorgeous steak better, with better quality on the barbie at home for a fraction of the price, and there's no risk in dropping big $$$ for sub-prime disappointing food.
Lunch's out are a great idea if you have the time. The problem with restaurant pricing is it's based on a food cost percentage, so as the price of the ingredients go up, the end price jumps 3 times that increase. Cheers.

2012 Apr 22
Oh, totally. Fine dining appears to be far more expensive than it used to be.

There was a really interesting article in the latest Lucky Peach about how expensive it is to make quality fine dining food. (Granted, the tack they took in the article was that labour laws/minimum wages/8 hour work days were why your food is so expensive, but let's not discuss that.)

2012 Jul 16
Well depends on your budget and also on your taste. Lots of restaurant offering different items but you have to select on keeping in view your personal requirement.
Check out different stores in Google for the Menu!

2012 Jul 16
Can't say that I've noticed my dinner bills getting larger, but I have noticed a decrease in value. Used to be a point of pride that Ottawa restaurants served reasonable amounts of food for what they charged. Now they seem to be focusing more on quality over quantity... without much of an increase in quality!