Beaus is bypassing us for Toronto? [General]

2012 Apr 19
As per Forum - New Openings around town?post_id=48486#post_48486

???

Please elaborate

2012 Apr 19
Sure. How about BEAULO?
blog.barvolo.com

That hasn't been the only Beau's experiment in Toronto. I'm not being critical of Beau's, they go where the beer drinkers are, just hope we have a bar in Ottawa sometime soon that can support this sort of thing.

2012 Apr 19
OK, I heard about Beaulo but don't know any details. Did they release beers there that they did not here? Or what about it was bypassing us?

And as I've been saying to my beer geek friends in Ottawa for some 15 years now - if you don't like the local beer scene, then do something to change it. Open up a bar like Volo if you think we need one. Or if you can't afford it, find someone who can and offer to invest. Or get a group of friends together and invest.

2012 Apr 19
Beer list is at the link, I think there are 4 Volo exclusives there.

With respect, that's not fair or realistic. Starting a business is not something to undertake lightly, even by those who have the time, money, and training. I change the scene in my own little way, by supporting bars that serve good beer, by supporting LCBO special releases, by spreading the good word. If you'd like to tell my pregnant wife that I've decided to drop my already precarious job and plow our life-savings into a beer bar I'll stand over here.

Put up or shut up is a lame reaction to criticisms over a restaurant or bar scene in a city.

2012 Apr 19
have you tried emailing them to see why this stuff isn't in ottawa.....i'm sure they would respond

2012 Apr 20
Having been to Volo, the place is pretty fantastic, and unique. When I went they had beers that you cannot get anywhere else in Ontario (for example, their feature beer was Howe Sound Brewing - from Squamish BC, and one of my favourite brewpubs). It is obviously a labour of love for them.

I agree with Zym to a point - you can complain that Ottawa does not have a place like that, but there is a reason - because people don't want to start one. It is a valid criticism that Ottawa does not have a place like this (although we are trending that way in the last few years - look at how every new bar/resto falls over themselves to serve locals, and places like Arrow and Loon have a good cask list) but in the end, Ottawa is what Ottawa is.

OTOH, I am happy that Beau's supports Volo (and Cask Days and other things) even though they are not in Ottawa because I have no doubt that they would support Volo in Ottawa or Kingston or anywhere else. Nourish the culture.

2012 Apr 20
Beau's supplied several exclusive brews for Oktoberfest in Vankleek Hill. They aren't bypassing us for Toronto, just supporting a happy craft beer loving market.

2012 Apr 20
If you're not happy, set up a blockade on the 401 to stop all beer shipments.

2012 Apr 20
Not sure why people are so defensive about this. Lack of a good beer bar is not a failing of Beau's... or of me for that matter. Beau's goes to Toronto to showcase their exciting beers because there's an establishment and a market for it. I wish Ottawa had a similar establishment. Simple as that.

2012 Apr 20
And to protect my homer cred, it wasn't too long ago that I created a thread on all the great stuff going on in Ottawa, before I'd even heard about the Craft Beer Week this summer. Ottawa will get there, it's just maturing.

2012 Apr 20
I thought Pub Italia was supposed to be Ottawa's Beer Bar.

From their beer List:

www.pubitalia.ca/beer.html

I count 13 Canadian and 15 European Draught beers with 2 monthly specials

and over 130 Bottles/Cans from all over the world.

Forget this post. I just went to the Volo website.

blog.barvolo.com/

"Holy Hops ... Batman"

Just the 32 IPA Challenge this weekend makes me drool.

2012 Apr 20
Incidentally, JP who is organising the craft beer week is looking for volunteers

2012 Apr 26
Passing us by for Toronto? Maybe... they got 8 locations for the new beer compared to 5 in Ottawa. Larger population, of course. Make of it what you will. www.beaus.ca/beer/farm_table