Peameal Bacon [General]

2007 Aug 1
I was wondering if anyone was privy to the process of actually pickling the pork loin and had a recipe (looking on the internet provided several recipes INVOLVING peameal bacon, but not actually MAKING peameal bacon). The boyfriend and I are planning a move to Regina, Saskatchewan in the next few months (hopefully I'll still be welcome on the forum as a non-Ottawan *sob*), and this is one thing I will miss. I am also coveting recipes for Montreal Smoked Meat.

2007 Aug 1

2007 Aug 1
Whoot! That covers peameal. Anyone for Smoked Meat?

2007 Aug 1
I’m a Schwartz’s fan. Once I find some Tender Quick, I look forward to trying this recipe:

tvwbb.infopop.cc

2007 Aug 1

The good folks at Butcher Boy on Robinson St. in Regina will be able to help. Best meat in Regina.

www.yellowpages.ca

2007 Aug 2
Ok... I've never been to Regina... but it seems hard to believe that there wouldn't be peameal bacon there? Or are you just trying to impress them and say "Out east, we MAKE OUR OWN peameal bacon.. the only way to eat!" (Also, do we get one last chance to come try your food at your restaraunt?)

2007 Aug 2
It's not just Regina that doesn't have it, it is also Winnipeg, and BC. Peameal bacon is a SW Ontario thing. While you MAY be able to find it elsewhere from time to time, it is very rare. You can get "back bacon" - which is smoked and not coated in cormmeal most places, but not peameal bacon (which is uncooked).

2007 Aug 2
Where would people recommend buy peameal bacon/Canadian Bacon where you can get it sliced. I used to buy it regularly in Toronto and used think slices in a lot of low fat recipes. But I have never found a good source in Ottawa - though I admit I have not tried very much.

Cheers

2007 Aug 2
I'm from SK and before I moved here, I had heard of peameal bacon but I completely didn't know what it was and had never seen it on menus or in the stores!
Good Luck FIH...I miss the sunsets in SK!!

2007 Aug 2
Medicineja: Try Saslove's on Wellington - they will have slice peameal in the refridgerated case below the fish counter.