First trip to Ottawa [General]

2012 Apr 11
I am coming to Ottawa next week for the first time. Going to the Sens/Rangers games and staying at the Westin, but will have a car to get around.

I will be dining alone and am looking for some suggestions on good eats. Nothing pricy and since I'll be alone I prefer someplace where I can possibly eat at the bar and/or has TV's or a lively atmosphere.

Any local must try spots? Ethnic or dives are ok in my book.

I noticed some BBQ joint with good reviews on another site, but forgot the name. possibly D&S?

Are there any late night options besides fast food for after the game?

Also, I am looking for a good sports bar to watch the other NHL games on the off night. For that I would prefer something near the Westin, so I can drink heavily and stumble back to the hotel

Thanks in advance and LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012 Apr 11
Your bets bet would be the Byward Market it would be about a $5-10 cab ride.

2012 Apr 11
Unless you have a physical disability I cannot imagine taking a taxi from the Westin to the Byward Market. It is just two blocks from the Westin's front door to get into the market. There will be a map and ads for market bars and restaurants in your room. Depending on where you go, you may walk 6-8 more blocks within the market.

I suggest Smoque on York St if you like BBQ. They will have hockey on their TVs for sure.

2012 Apr 11
The Westin is attached to the Rideau Centre which is in the Byward market. You shouldn't need your car around there - much easier to just walk places.

Elgin St is "Sens Mile" during the playoffs. Every bar with a TV will be playing a game and if Sens win, the streets will be filled with people, so I'd suggest heading there. My favourite pub in the Manx, but they don't have a tv. You could try Maclaren's, Lieutenant's Pump, Fox & Feather and I'm sure more than I can remember.
The Manx
MacLaren's
Fox and Feather Pub
Lieutenant's Pump

For eating in the Byward Market here are some suggestions:
The SmoQue Shack
Ahora
Murray Street Restaurant
Burrito Borracho
Chez Lucien
Los Tacos de Mauro
Corazón de Maíz
Fatboys Southern Smokehouse

The game itself it at Scotia Bank Place, far end of Kanata. It will take you 40 minutes to drive there & park (due to traffic). There isn't much near there to eat and inside the stadium food is very expensive (beer is $9 - $11).

2012 Apr 11
For some its easy to take a cab yes you could walk but late at night some do perfer a cab.

2012 Apr 11
I can't think of much around here that's a must-try. Art-is-in bakery maybe? I would just suggest avoiding tourist traps like Zak's Diner or chains like St. Louis Bar and Grill. There's lots of great restaurants around at a variety of price ranges but I don't think of anything as being uniquely Ottawa, so it's really up to what you're looking for.

For a bar to watch the game, I'd say Sir John A on Elgin has the best beer selection but if you're looking for sheer TV prominence then somewhere like Maclarens is probably a better bet. Smoque shack would give you the games and good food.

Late Night:
Burrito Burracho is open till about 4am... Wonton mama is open till 2am on Fri/Sat.Kinki runs sushi specials after 9pm but I'm not sure how late they stay open.
Murray street will be open lateish but they switch to a charcuterie-only menu at 10pm I believe. Smoque shack is open till 11. The only other really late-night options are pizza, shawarma, and poutine. I would advise against pizza but Sasha's makes a fine poutine.

2012 Apr 11
Perhaps I am missing something "reidjr2012", but for what reason exactly are you suggesting a cab from the Westin to the Market?

It is literally RIGHT across the street!

Rangers94 - ignore this poster, they have no clue what they are talking about.

You will ONLY need to drive (or take a bus) to get to the Sens game from downtown, but from the Westin to get to the Market (where all the restaurants/bars are) it will take you approximately 4 minutes on foot.

Let that be the end to that debate!

And as hipfunkyfun said, there is also Elgin street which you can also walk to in about 10 minutes from the Westin.

Ask at the Westin about taking the Sens bus to the game - then you can stumble home from that as well :)

Enjoy your time in Ottawa!

2012 Apr 11
I would avoid MacLarens, it has lots of screens but no atmosphere, ever.

For a sports bar to watch the games that's close-ish to the Westin, try Pub 101 in the Market.

For eating on your own and getting decent food at the bar while watching sports, The Grand is perfect.

2012 Apr 11
Depending where you are coming from Rangers94, Shawarma might be new to you. I had never experienced Shawarma until I moved here. (and I'm from mid MI, with a large Lebanese/Middle eastern population)there is much debate here about where is the best Shawarma. If you do a search you should come up with lots of options.

Again, depending upon where you are from, I'm guessing the States, I would skip the Taco places. They are decent for Ottawa but...

2012 Apr 11
I think checking out the Sens Mile (Elgin St.) on your off-night is an excellent suggestion!

Welcome to O-town, and... GO SENS GO!!

2012 Apr 11
Also, if you're driving to the game, give yourself AT LEAST an hour before game time to get there. You'll being fighting rush hour traffic as well as hockey traffic. Of course, if you can find a shuttle like ksw suggests then that's probably your best bet.

2012 Apr 11
If you're sticking to the Market I'd have Murray Street and Play (Play Food and Wine, playfood.ca/) at the top of my list.

Neither have TVs, though, which is a bummer.

2012 Apr 11
Sens Mile + Schawarma

2012 Apr 11
If you go to Elgin Street be sure to finish the night off with pizza and gravy at House of Georgie's!

2012 Apr 12
Theres also SandyHill Lounge and Grill.

Must haves: Perogies, pot stickers, gumbo ( only as a special ), and BUTTERMILK PIE ugghhhh so good.

2012 Apr 13
For places to watch games, I think Chez Lucien and Mill Street Brewery are more unique environments for a visitor than most of the generic pubs in our city. In my view the food at both places is...nothing outstanding but better than most other pub/sports bar options. Both places have good beer. The Earl of Sussex Pub has a big patio and a nice view of Parliament Hill and the National Gallery.

For proper meals, I'd recommend Smoque Shack (can watch the games there), Lindenhof (outside of downtown core take a no. 85 bus west, maybe 10-15 min door to door) and on the slightly higher end Murray Street, Play, Domus, Town, Navarra, Whalesbone - none of these places would be TV-watching spots.

The Metropolitain is another interesting place, food is a bit pricy and somewhat hit or miss, but they have great after-work specials.

There are also a lot of new restos in Hintonburg which is about 15-20min on the no.2 (west) bus door to door, unfortunately I haven't tried any of them.

A lot of good, very affordable Chinese and Vietnamese (both types are typically open late) options in Chinatown (no.2 bus west). No hockey games there.

2012 Apr 13
I'll second Chez Lucien if you want a fun environment and good beer. If you're alone you will more than likely get to know a few people there too.
Get a burger with fries and salad, you might want to ask for the burger to be cooked medium/medium rare -- You will be social, full and happy -- Which will be good because it will help you get over a Rangers loss pretty quickly ;)

2012 Apr 13
The food at Chez Lucien is pretty good, but both times I have been there the one woman behind the bar has been unbelievably rude. We were given the vibe very loudly and clearly that if she doesn't know your face then you aren't welcome; we haven't been back. It's a shame.

2012 Apr 13
The guy says he's coming with a car and you all recommend these crappy places near his hotel? Come on!

If you're from NY, you'll only be disappointed with our Mexican. Ditto regular pizza, although Boston Pizza (a chain from out west) makes a delicious pie, there is one on Carling near Churchill, but a better bet is the one at Centrum mall near the stadium. Very good hockey atmosphere and you can eat at a high table in the bar area or the bar itself. The Caesar salad is delicious, too.

You want to eat at Wellington Gastro Pub, the best resto in the city. Excellent ambience, and pretty sure you can eat at the bar. Great wines and brews.

Petit Bill's Bistro is a great place for their maritime fare, including the lobster poutine. I take it you've heard of poutine. This is another level of a local delicacy. Edit: new spring menu next week, including lobster roll.

Fraser Cafe and Absinthe for the best burger lunches. This latter place has what I think are the best fries in town. Black Cat Bistro also on my top 5 restos. Tennessy Willems for a wood-fired pizza that makes Lombardi's in your Little Italy seem like amateur hour.

Art-is-in is a great place for a casual lunch and pastries. Get a loaf of dynamite white bread to snack on at the hotel.

Smoque Shack makes good BBQ, but the ambience is pretty sterile, not my choice for the game. D&S seems to get great reviews but it's in the outer suburbs.

Don't bother with any Italian restaurants.

Sens in 6

2012 Apr 13
Boston Pizza?? Newport is way better... i'd even say so is Pizza Shark on Gladstone.

2012 Apr 14
One of the best brunches in town is Stonefaced Dolly's on Preston (at Beach)

2012 Apr 16
"I am coming to Ottawa next week for the first time. ...I will be dining alone ...LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Must not.
Make.
Anti. Rangers fan.
Snarky. Comment.
Must. Resist. Encourage. Tourism.
Must.... AAAARRRGGGHHHGRATUITOUS SELF-FULFILLINGPROPHECY JOKEAAAAARRRRGHHH.

Anyways, i should point out that the SHORE CLUB, right there in the Westin, has tvs at the bar, and killer food. High end but worth it.

I second all the recommendations that you skip pizza, ital, tex/mex and most pubs if you're looking for good food. If food isn't a factor there are several hundred entirely fun places within stumbling distance of your hotel that serve decent enough food - far from Ottawa's finest, but you won't starve or feel too terribly gouged.

And for the love of all things foodie, don't plan to eat at the game. It isn't worth it.

Otherwise some great sugestions upthread esp BaconIV.

On the ethnic front, for things you are not likely to get elsewhere, i cannot recommend CEYLONTA (Sri Lankan food) highly enough.

2012 Apr 16
Avoid pizza doesn't compare to NY or Chicago. Wellington Gastro Pub is a good choice but make reservations. For pub food try Manx or Cheshire Cat and avoid Mill Street. Smoque shack does a mean BBQ but avoid Fatboys. For lunch try Art Is In Bakery. I would also skip steak places as well way overpriced for feedlot beef. For burgers try Quinns on Bank or The Butchery in Bells Corners. Pass on Mexican and Tex Mex. Try Crispy Chips in the Canadian Tire parking lot on Hunt Club for poutine. The Prescott does a yummy meatball sandwich and has lots of TV's.

2012 Apr 17
If you decide to grab a snack at the game the ONLY thing worth your time are the Golden Palace Egg Rolls, they have a vendor booth in Scotiabanck place now. If you're a fan of then, you can also get them from the Golden Palace Resaturant, uncooked and frozen so you can cook them at home

2012 Apr 22
Dunn's is almost next door from the Westin for decent smoked meat.

Make sure you try a poutine before going home, not too sure about the best one in the market.

Don't go in the Rideau Centre unless you want the big chains (KFC, Subway, etc.) but if you're here, you don't.

Does the Barefax offer meals?! ;-P

2012 Apr 22
Yes, Barefax has the ubiquitous free hip of beef buffet, if I'm not mistaken. I've been meaning to visit all of the peeler bars in the region to do a serious critique of their various food offerings. I'm looking for wingmen.

BTW, Barefax has a NAICS code of 722110, making it a 'full-service' restaurant.
It may only be me, but I find this hilarious.