Cider [General]

2012 Apr 8
I have been sampling a few ciders but I have yet to find one that suits my taste for effervescence and tartness. Any suggestions?

2012 Apr 9
I like Waupoos Cider from Picton or Pommies Dry Cider from Ontario. The LCBO carries their big selection in the winter, so you are extremely limited now to what you can get. Another nice option is sparkling cider from France, they sell it in Vintages - but you won't find it this time of year either.

I stay away from the mass market Growers, Blackthorne, Magners, etc.

2012 Apr 9
Go to Quebec. There was a cider revival there a couple decades ago and there are some nice examples in the Norman style. Not sure what's available at the SAQ, might be worth trying some of the nicer food shops like Trappe a Fromage.

2012 Apr 9
I really wanted to like the Waupoos but it had a sulphity aftertaste. As for Quebec, do you have any brands I should look out for? I willl admit, my mass market secret shame, no longer available here, was Scrumpy Jack from the UK.

2012 Apr 9
As mainstreamish brands go, I find Stowford Press to be exceptionally good - definitely nicer than Strongbow or Blackthorn. Readily available at the LCBO.

2012 Apr 9
If you get the chance, make sure you visit the Waupoos Cider Company in Prince Edward County. They have a little restaurant at the back of the shop which looks out over the orchards and vineyards to the St Lawrence, and in summer it might just be one of the most beautiful and peaceful places in the world to have lunch.

2012 Apr 10
I just saw a commercial on TV last night introducing Alexander Keiths Cider, to be served on ice. Yeeeesh. Apple based alco-pop, geared for the 16-25 year old drinker.

2012 Apr 11
NOT keiths!