OO Italian Flour [General]

2012 Mar 21
Anyone aware of a source in Ottawa?

2012 Mar 21
I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Nicastro's. It was either the one on Merivale or in the market. Phone first so you don't waste a trip.

2012 Mar 22
i buy it at the italian grocery on preston & somerset. it is below the cheese counter. sometimes param ravioli carries it. la botegga should have it too. i buy the pizza flour OO italian flour, it makes a really nice thin crust.

i find when i use it, i need to weigh my measurements and not rely on measuring cups. it is a much different flour than all purpose and you want to get the moisture right.

2012 Mar 22
Yum!

I have it on the todo list this summer to make a wood fired oven from the FB Pompeii plans. Work takes me to a place where there is a wood fired oven across from the hotel and I am now addicted to it. Ironically they even make their own fresh mozza too.

K,

2012 Mar 22
I've found it at the Nicastro's on Merivale.

2012 Mar 22
All three of the Nicastro's (including La Bottega) locations carry it. I've seen it at Herb & Spice on occasion as well.

2012 Mar 22
I'm just wondering why it's not easier to find...I went on a pizza crust making kick last year and had a hard time finding any, anywhere. I guess I should have asked here. I just assumed that Bulk Barn would have it, but I was mistaken...

2012 Mar 24
I also thought it would be at bulk barn, but it wasn't. (Carleton Place location).
I did buy some at Nicastro's on Merivale and it does make a silkier feeling dough. Nice crust on the pizza.
Has anyone tried the red fife flour in their bread? I know bulk barn sells it but I don't think it is organic.

2012 Mar 25
got some 00 and made a nice super thin crust! thx for the tips....next project wood oven :)

2012 Mar 25
solstice I've used the red fife in a lot of bread over the past 2+ years and love it either on it's own or mixed with other flours (dark rye, spelt, white). It has really good flavour, I find, and the texture is good. I thought it was OSG - organic stone ground - but I might not remember correctly. I just have a bag labelled red fife in my box of flours. Now that I think of it I have never used it for anything but bread - a bit odd, I'm thinking except that I have a bunch of other flours I only use in bread - spelt, quinoa, teff, barley and dark rye come to mind.

Editing to add that the Bulk Barn red fife flour is organic and looks to be whole wheat (or whole grain???) and feels stone ground though BB states only that it's organic in their description.