Nespresso? [General]

2012 Mar 11
Looking for any advice re: Nespresso machines. Have to offer the disclaimer that I am not a hugely demanding consumer of coffee. I have a stovetop cappucino/espresso maker that I almost never use, and have not ever used for espresso. Last week I was in Home Outfitters on Merivale and they were sampling coffees from a Nespresso machine similar to the one in the picture, one of which was on sale for around $220 I believe. The espresso that I sampled was quite good and had a nice head of "crema". I'm not interested in buying a $500+ coffee machine that takes up real estate, and I really hate the coffee that comes out of those Keurig and senseo machines. I thought if I had a nespresso, I would probably use it more often than the stovetop thing, because it did seem easy and it made what to me tasted like a decent espresso. Anyone have any experience with them and care to share?

2012 Mar 11
Well you say you are not a demanding coffee drinker but at very least you recognize those Keurig machines for the pure shite they produce! I just wanted to offer you kudos on that :-)

I'm in the market for an espresso machine too but am leaning toward manual pull.

2012 Mar 11
Oh there is some talk about it in this thread

Forum - Nespresso Aeroccino

EDIT: oh and more here, but you may need to pop some popcorn before reading it

Forum - first k-cups (coffee) experience

2012 Mar 11
Thanks Zy!

2012 Mar 11
I think I'm just rephrasing what I said in the forum posts that Zym linked to, but here are my $0.02.

I've been using Nespresso machines for five years, and love them. If real estate is a consideration, you absolutely cannot beat the one you're looking at.

Easy to clean. One moving part (assuming you count the pump as a part that moves). Brew quality unsurpassed by any other automatic machine I've seen. (And, I suspect, brew quality surpassing many manual machines, too.)

2012 Mar 11
I concurr on the espresso machine! Have had one for a few years now and gives great espresso and nary a problem. Easy to use and clean as well.