South Texas [Travel]

2012 Mar 1
Planning a birding trip in early April to South Texas. The main cities will include Corpus Christi, Brownsville, Harlingen...

Anyone been or have any recommendations for good food there? Obviously BBQ and REAL Tex-Mex will be de rigueur, but I've no clue where to start! Open to most stuff, mainly looking for new, authentic experiences.

2012 Mar 1
Yes - Texas..as I tell everyone that its my favorite Country. One of my favourite and most interesting BBQ Joints is Rudy's. You will love the BBQ sauce and probably bring some back. I actually order a Case for Christmas as gifts

rudysbbq.com

On the Bridge between Corpus Christi and Padre Island is a large fishing pier where all the fishing boats come in. Right beside the pier is a Seafood place that is amazing - Snoopy's. fresh Fish at its best !! We would eat outside and watch all the Pelicans fish and fly by.

www.snoopyspier.com/menu/

They are lots of good place in the area and lots of small Mom and Pop BBQ joits. Sometimes the old beat up diners are also hidden BBQ gems

One thing that may be worth a 1/2 day visit in the Corpus Christi harbour is a tour of the USS Lexington. A WW2 Aircraft Carrier which is now a museum. very Interesting

Yu'all have a great trip

JDK

2012 Mar 1
Ooooo JDK. Thanks for this! Snoopy's sounds exactly right up my alley. Will do my damndest to check it out. :)