Suggestions for Kingston [General]

2012 Feb 29
I'm headed to Kingston tomorrow and I'm looking for lunch suggestions, preferably in the Downtown area. Any cuisines/pricepoint are welcome.

2012 Feb 29
Phnom Penh is very good Cambodian Thai (I highly recommend the Panang chicken). Wooden Heads is excellent wood-fired pizza. For a quick lunch (soup, sandwiches,salad),the food and Pan Chancho bakery is very good and the bonus is you can pick up some delicious bread to bring back home.

2012 Feb 29
My partner's mom raves nonstop about Chez Piggy! I've never been though.

2012 Feb 29
Was at Chez Piggy a few weekends ago - A must visit place when in Kingston. Its tucked away off Princess Street close to the waterfront. Great Beer tap selection and some pretty amazing sanwiches - I had the rare Beef sandwich and the wife had the Club - both Outstanding !! The building itself is a nice older re-vamped building with wood burning stoves. If its for lunch, be there early or after 1:30pm for quick seating

www.chezpiggy.com/

JDK

2012 Feb 29
We were at Woodenheads about a month ago, and it was incredible. 2 wood-oven pizzas-- one basic, with smoked mozzarella and pepperoni, and one more adventurous with apple butter, cheddar, roasted garlic, sweet onions and blackened chicken. Still makes my mouth water thinking about it. Nice decor and atmosphere, too. You might need a reservation.

Website is www.woodenheads.ca/

2012 Feb 29
Wok Inn has the best cambodian in Kingston. It is the original location for the original Cambodian restaurant there (its tiny) and is on its second owner. Chris and his wife have been running it for around 20 years. Chez Piggy is always good, as is its off shoot Pan Chancho for take out or light meals. Saigon was always good for Vietnamese.

Most Cambodian restaurants in Kingston have some connection with Pat - the original owner of the Wok Inn and pretty much every other Cambodian restaurant. If you can figure out which place he is running these days that would also be a good bet.

2012 Feb 29
I am a Kingston ex-pat, so I'll recommend Chez Piggy, Pan Chancho, Phnom Penh, Cambodian Village, the Wok-in, Saigon Delights (get the banh xeo), Pat's Restaurant (as Sourdough mentioned - he now has his own restaurant on Division St), The Pilot House (fish & chips), Woodenheads, Curry Original... go to the Sleepless Goat for vegan/gluten free/etc stuff, also v.good coffee, tea & espresso drinks.

2012 Mar 1
KBC has some good beers and decent food as well.

If you go to Chez Piggy's, don't forget to pet their dodo. He usually hangs out in the lobby.

2012 Mar 6
Thanks everyone. I ended up not going to Kingston b/c of the snowstorm. I'll keep the list for next time I go.

2012 Aug 10
Was in Kingston yesterday and we went to Chez Piggy where we had a really first rate lunch. I had the best Mussels ever -with a Pernod cream sauce with dynamite frites and my hubby had the club sandwhich. We opened with a stilton pate. The service was great. Would return in a heatbeat. Wonderful that they seem to have been great for 33 years!

2012 Aug 10
Yup ... Chez Piggies (in an old livery stable?) !

First time I went was in 1985 ... 27 Years ago.

And it all started with Zal Yanovsky:

Although in the ’90s he’s famed for his wonderful Kingston , Ont.-based restaurant, Chez Piggy, Zal Yanovsky’s ’60s specialty was not gastronomic, but musical. A member of the immensely popular group The Lovin’ Spoonful, Yanovsky and bandmates John Sebastian, Steve Boone and Joe Butler, fed an adoring public sweet, tasty, pop ditties such as “Do you believe in Magic,” and “You Didn’t Have To Be So Nice”.

en.wikipedia.org

2012 Aug 17
Suggestions for Kingston: move it closer to Ottawa.

2012 Aug 17
psst Rizak......I live in Ottawa was only visiting Kingston.

2012 Aug 18
psst ..... I know that. I'm just saying I'd visit Kingston more often if it was closer.