Humanely raised meat? [General]

2012 Feb 27
Hey foodies, where do you shop for humanely raised meat? We're thinking about getting away from supermarket meat for numerous reasons, and we're looking for alternatives.

We do have a few limitations; we simply don't have time to go driving all over the countryside of Eastern Ontario, so it needs to be available within the city itself. Also, we live in a small apartment and don't have room for a deep freezer, so buying half an organic cow at a time is out.

So, who's your favourite meat supplier? Bonus points if you include average prices!

(On a related note, where does Farm Boy's meat come from?)

2012 Feb 27
I have had Bearbrook Farm deliver a few things for me on occasion (I think the minimum order for delivery is $75 or so). When I dont have such a large order to place I usually head to the Landsdowne Farmers Market to pick up some of their goodies.

Sorry, I dont know their prices off hand, other than the $10/lb of ground bison/elk.

2012 Feb 27
Lots in this thread Forum - the localvores' thread

2012 Feb 27
I'd suggest going to some of the local farmers markets too. Ask the meat vendors lots of questions, and find the ones you like best. It's only a few more short weeks till a bunch more of them open. I'm guessing there is also a thread on here that lists local farmers markets.

I'm partial to the Ottawa Organic Farmers Market of course, but that's because it's a year round market and because I'm a vendor there! ;-)

2012 Feb 27
We buy our chickens (whole, frozen) from Winnfield farms....15 minutes from downtown Ottawa.