LF cheap campfire forks [General]

2012 Feb 26
Hey folks,

Our cub pack seems to have misplaced our campfire forks - anyone know of where to buy some cheap ones locally? Just make out of twisted metal wire - real simple.

Here is a more expensive one from Lee Valley but not really what we are looking for

www.leevalley.com,40725,45454

Or where could I get stainless steel wire to make some? I would use coat hangers but I bet there is lead in those.

2012 Feb 26
Canadian Tire have them for about five bucks a throw. Cheaper than that I don't know.

2012 Feb 26
Yeah I saw those too but even that is too much to buy 15 for our Cub Pack

I am told dollarama sometimes has the cheap ones I am looking for but I am not sure I'd find them this time of year

2012 Feb 26
Try Le Baron on Merivale - www.lebaron.ca

2012 Feb 26
I have several of the Light my Fire spoon/fork/knife utensils. I like them a lot.

www.mec.ca

2012 Feb 26
No I'm talking about 3 foot ones for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows

I checked Lebaron online and they don't seem to have their products online. They have PDFs of their catalog but you don't seem to be able to download it all as 1 PDF - just several dozen with different categories. Useless Same with Sail.

2012 Feb 26
What about the scout shop on baseline? I've got lots of camping stuff there. And you can always twist a wire coat hanger to do the trick.

2012 Feb 26
I thought of the coat hanger but gawsh knows what they are made out of

Will check the Scout Shop too, thanks for the reminder

2012 Feb 26
Coat hangers are made of steel wire, so that isn't a problem. They're often lacquered though, and I don't know what that lacquer is or what effect heat will have on it. I'm fairly sure I wouldn't use coat hangers to feed other people's children if I were you.

2012 Feb 26
Zym - the le baron link above is to a catalog page - $3.85 for coghlan's telescoping fork. I got lucky on the first try I guess. They might have a cheaper non-telescopIng version too.

2012 Feb 26
sticks?

2012 Feb 27
Oh... oups! Wasn't even close with that one!

But yeah, I'll echo: "stick?"

2012 Feb 27
We have of course taught the kids how to make their own with a jackknife and stick.

However we will be spending the weekend in a nature preserve and in that location we teach them "leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures"

Anyway, one of the other leaders found the forks we had so we're good to go. I will keep my out at the dollar store though because we tend to lose one on each outing so we'll need more soon.

2012 Feb 27
Zym - since I know you live in the area, a dollar-ama is opening at Somerset/Breezehill where the old 168 Market used to be. It will be there until development starts on the property. By the size of it, it should be huge and hopefully have forks :)

It isn't open yet, but work is definitely progressing quickly.