Matrix chickens [General]

2012 Feb 16
Only excerpts reproduced here - click through for full article :

Philosopher Paul Thompson from Purdue University has suggested “The Blind Chicken Solution.” He argues that chickens blinded by “accident” have been developed into a strain of laboratory chickens that don’t mind being crowded together as much as normal chickens do. As a result, he argues, we should consider using blind chickens in food production as a solution to the problem of overcrowding in the poultry industry. He argues that it would be more humane to have blind chickens than ones that can see.

But Ford goes a step further and proposes a “Headless Chicken Solution.” This would involve removing the cerebral cortex of the chicken to inhibit its sensory perceptions so that it could be produced in more densely packed conditions without the associated distress. The brain stem for the chicken would be kept intact so that the homeostatic functions continue to operate, allowing it to grow.

www.wired.com

2012 Feb 16
Hmmm., maybe blind headless people would be a suitable solution for the over population problem the earth is faced with. ;-)

2012 Feb 16
Wow, I guess the "meatrix" approach is the inevitable goal of factory farming. It does seem more humane to kill the animal (e.g. remove it's cerebral cortex) as early as possible if the living conditions are going to be traumatic. Take that to the extreme, and it's best if the animal is never alive at all.

I guess for proper muscle development, they'd have to make the bodies move once in a while. The resulting electronically choreographed dance of macabre marionettes would be super creepy. Chicken zombies!!

2012 Feb 16
But here's my question: How do they taste?

2012 Feb 16
...with their tongues.

*bah-dum-dum* ;-)

2012 Feb 16
organicgirl , some might argue that the majority of people are already blind and headless ...

2012 Feb 16
Am i the only one who read the subject and was dissappointed that the link didn't involve a bunch of chickens wearing sunglasses and black trenchcoats fighting evil humans who were using them for eggs?

2012 Feb 16
spare the chickens and just eat chicken flavored tofu.
you won't have to deal with headless chickens then

2012 Feb 16
OSoloMeal, this is what you want:

www.themeatrix.com/