My Two Cents- Food and Drink [General]

2012 Feb 8
I haven't said too much here, instead I've have been listening, reading, taking in what people like and don't like. It's time now. I feel like I need to put my two cents in on the status of food and drink (i.e. beer) here in the capital region.

First, beer, more specifically - brewpubs, we need more of them. Especially since I think the Clock Tower brews are hollow representations of the beers they style themselves after. The food- so so. Overall it seems to have diminished at my New Edinburgh location.

It was heartening to hear Mill St. was coming to town. I was there the night after the public opening and found they make some very tasty beers - stuck with the American Ale - fittingly. They were out of the barleywine (which for the record, I've been saying Ottawa brewers and liquor boards need to supply for the 5 years I've lived here) and the IPA - bummer. The food flying past me looked okay. My duck confit sandwich was tasty however not really what I was looking for for dinner - a choice of last resorts. I would have loved to see carnitas burrito instead of spares tacos on the menu or something Bobby Flayesque.

I only recently discovered Les Brasseurs du Temps in Gatineau. Liked the IPA but need to do more research i.e. drinking and eating to firm up an opinion.

My favorite pub to date is The Chelsea Pub and FYI- their are plans to expand the bar and put in brewing equipment, Oh yeah love the Chelsea Burger - make sure you order the half and half - half fries half salad - always delicious.

Now speaking of burgers. I vote for the burger at the Fraser Cafe (lunch menu only) as one of, if not THE, best burger I've had in Ottawa. Yes, I know - the Works, Hintonburger, Chez Lucien, etc.. I'm just saying, try it and then decide.

What else? Chicken Wings. Being an upstate New Yorker I've eaten wings and I know what a wing should look, smell, and taste like. I understand that their are regional variations - fine - just give me a plump, juicy, just a bit crispy, non-breaded, red-sauce hot wing. Please. I've given up looking here. Especially at $10 for 10 or so wings.

Mexican food. How about a decent Taqueria - a Taqueria Truck even?!

This has turned into a bit of a food rant....I'll stop myself here for now. But when I return...Sushi, Shawarma, Coffee roasters, and Delicatessens.

RKStar

2012 Feb 8
I have lived in California (San Francisco area) for the past five years, I have never EVER eaten a good shawarma!
But they do have good fish tacos!

2012 Feb 8
Re: Wings. Have you tried Quinn's? They're delicious, although at $5/lb on Monday nights, maybe still out of your price range.

It's been a while since I was at the Arrow and Loon but I thought theirs were pretty good for $0.25/ea. on tuesdays.

2012 Feb 9
Quinn's wings will please you.