Schwartz's...sold!!! [General]

2012 Feb 8
Schwartz's Deli, has been bought by Rene Angelil, the husband of Celine Dion, and a group of investors for $10 million, according to reports. The deli, the most beloved in Canada, is rivalled only by Katz's in New York in the eyes of smoked meat lovers across the continent.

2012 Feb 8
It's been sold a few times over the years, but this might be the first time sold to a corporation. I believe Celine Dion and other investors started the Nickels brand 20 some odd years ago.

2012 Feb 8
Now optimally they eradicate the Nickels brand, turn all the locations into perfect replicas of Shwartz's and usher in a new age of peace, joy, and smoked meaty happiness for all humanity until the skyrocketing cholesterol wipes us out as a race... but at least we go out happy and full and all sitting together at random tables.

2012 Feb 8
Wondering how long it will take this corporation to ruin a good thing.

2012 Feb 8
I saw the story on CTV this morning and they were saying that the reason Schwartz' meat tastes so special is that they have been smoking it in the same place for decades, and the deposits that have built up over the years deliver a unique character to the product. The story also said that it would be impossible to replicate that in a franchise model.

2012 Feb 8
Hmmm. Challenge accepted!

Yeah, I wish. Really. I wish.

Oh, man. Now I want a smoked meat sandwich.

2012 Feb 8
Going to Montreal next weekend, and will pick up a full brisket. Hopefully Celine and co. don't ruin a great institution.

2012 Feb 8
Schwartz has indeed been sold a few times. That doesn't bother me. It also didn't bother me when they put the takeout counter next door. Faster service = a happier me.

But here's the rub -- they put a new smoker in at the takeout location. It's not the original smoker. I don't know whether there's actually a difference or if I just think there is because I've seen the new smoker, but I didn't have the usual sublime experience last time I was there. It's still delicious and I still refuse to eat other smoked meat, but I'm thinking about revising that second one in search of better brisket.

2012 Feb 9
"I saw the story on CTV this morning and they were saying that the reason Schwartz' meat tastes so special is that they have been smoking it in the same place for decades, and the deposits that have built up over the years deliver a unique character to the product. The story also said that it would be impossible to replicate that in a franchise model."

SCIENCE!!!!!

2012 Feb 10
After a few bad experiences at Schwartz's, I switched to Smoked Meat Pete's. Way better and consistent. The arrival of the Dion conglomerate only ensures that I never return.

2012 May 19
I went to Smokes Meat Pete's yesterday. The fries, usually excellent, we're a bit old. The sandwich was the best smoked meat sandwich I can remember ever having. The beef was peppery with a beautiful buttery fat marbled throughout the sandwich. The bread even had a bit of crisp to it so it didn't fall apart. Top drawer stuff!