Top Chip Wagons [General]

2012 Feb 8
The last few years i have not been a big chip wagon person this summer i do plan eating more at chip wagons it would be good if people could list what they think the best chip wagons are.

2012 Feb 8
"Over the course of the last few years, I have not often partaken of the glorious bounty offered by local food trucks. For some reason I believe this to be the best option available to me and would like to increase the frequency of my visits to this type of vendor. I would appreciate any help that you fine folks here at Ottawa Foodies could provide to me. Your vast amount of knowledge and wisdom regarding this subject is bound to amaze me."

IFIFY

Try Bite This on Scott St. They are only open during the warmer months and only about 5 hours a day, but their fare is terrific.

2012 Feb 9
I haven't sampled the fare at a lot of chip wagons, but if you're in Nepean in the parking lot of the Canadian Tire/Brick, TV's Fries is AWESOME. Family-owned, poutine with St. Albert's curds, crispy twice-cooked fries, friendly people - awesome all around.

2012 Feb 9
I tried TV's a while back, don't know if my expectations were too high, but I wasn't blown away. I'll have to try them again sometime, but for now, S&G does it best for me.

2012 Feb 9
I really like S&G, and also Wes's out in Arnprior.

2012 Feb 9
Crispy Chips, hands down. head and shoulders above the rest. i probably would have never eaten there had i not read about it on Ottawa Foodies way back when. S&G is good, but the quality of the curds/fries and gravy:fry:curd ratio at Crispy Chips are both far superior.

have never tried TV's - they're in the same parking lot adjacent to Crispy Chips but Crispy's always seems to be WAY busier which may tell you something...

2012 Feb 9
I really like the chips at "Bite This" on Scott St. and I especially like that they offer a small dixie cup size that's just enough for tasting.

2012 Feb 10
Crispy Chips leaps and bounds above the rest!

2012 Feb 10
I guess I'll have to check out Crispy Chips...

2012 Feb 10
If you're in Almonte, check out the Poutine Queen on the west end of town. They have Burger n Onion Poutine with seasoned ground beef and fried onions, as well as Chili poutine and also Turkey Stuffing Poutine. Delish.

2012 Feb 10
I'm a long time Crispy Chips (and JP's) fan, but now I'm curious to try TV's too. Is there anyone who's eaten *both*?

Next time I'm in the Hunt Club Merivale area with the fam, we're doing a taste test!

2012 Feb 10
Crispy's and JP's are great - check out the chili dog there! TV's seems to have it's regular clientele, enough so to stay in business at that location despite the competition.

2012 Feb 10
I've tried both and they're both good but I think I prefer Crispy Chips. The chips at the two place are distinctively different so that if you want switch it up every now and then you don't feel like you're going to an inferior chip wagon.

2012 Feb 10
In the UK, chips are what North Americans call fries. What you call chips are referred to as crisps. So on moving to Canada, like a good immigrant I start referring to crisps as chips and chips as fries, only to find that to buy my fries I must go to a chip wagon.

And now, you tell me that to buy my chips which are actually fries, not chips, I have to go to a chip wagon called Crispy Chips which sells neither crisps nor chips.

You people are doing this to deliberately confuse me.

2012 Feb 11
I usually go to the chip truck at Bank and Sunnyside.
the only thing that has somewhat put me off is that when they peel the potatoes outside the staff smoke at the same time.
-I have seen them do this at least 10 times when I pass by on the bus...

Also I am not sure they clean the machinery they use to cut the fries- it is a metal "thing" attached to the inside of the truck near the stairs (I saw them use it last year when some lady came with her kids so they could see that...)

I have been to the chip truck in Nepean Canadian Tire- it is pretty good.
It seems most of the Candian Trie locations have a chip truck in the parking lot now.

Is there any place in the Bank st area that is good?

2012 Feb 12
There's one on Bank just north of Catherine. It was great the one time I ate there, but I was drunk at the time and everything tastes great when you're drunk.

2012 Feb 12
Heh, very funny Johnny English. I grew up saying chips and at some point switched to fries... I can't remember when or why, but it happened and it seemed to happen at the same time for everyone else in my family. Are "fries" a grown-up thing here in Canada or was the use of chips unique to my family (among long-established Canadians)?

2012 Jul 20
The best food trucks in the city by far are Town Fryer and Bite This.

2012 Jul 20
"The best food trucks in the city by far are Town Fryer and Bite This."

YUP

and I'll add Trailer Pork Boys .

2012 Jul 20
If ever in Smiths falls, Britts chips is FANTASTIC. How many places do their own hand made burgers any more? And the poutine is still great even when its cold... can't explain that one... Just ate it about 20 min ago actually

2012 Jul 21
Hey nukem where is Britts? I was at hanks last night outside of bennets bait and tackle it was pretty good. Ever try the BBQ chip wagon across from TSC ? They make pulled pork and ribs but I haven't had time to try them out yet.

2012 Jul 21
a little further towards out of smiths falls from the tsc.... keep going down that road and it's on the right hand side.... big sign, cant miss it..best place in town... If you want bbq in smiths falls, go to the one accross the street from giant tiger... really great ribs there! I ate the fries at the one you mentioned, and wouldn't bother with the pulled pork because they ant even handle making a decent gravy... im really picky about gravy lol

2012 Jul 21
Thanks nukem , I will probably be there to try them out tonight. Glad to hear the ribs across from GT boutique are decent. I've checked that place out everytime I drive by it but just never seem to have time to pull in. Word of wisdom stay away from pats fries in prospect on the franktown road. Frozen burgers and soggy fries. I'm a bit of a gravy bit$# myself so thanks for the update on the other BBQ truck.
Cheers smoker guy

2012 Jul 21
Glad to see another gravy bi**h out there... I signed the poutition, did you?

www.facebook.com

But in all seriousness, enjoy the fries, (i always ask for them to be extra crispy, they come out well) and we should set up a time for a beer and conversation if you're regularly in the neighborhood... im just by the bridge into the main strip... Im always out here on the weekends, and in ottawa weekdays for school

2012 Jul 22
Does anyone know what happened to Grumpys chipwagon near Manotick or the guy that sold pulled pork and ribs at the corner of Stagecoach and Mitch Owens?