Banoffee [General]

2007 Jul 18
I'm dying to eat a banoffee pie... I'm going to make one this weekend... I'll post pics, recipe and commentary afterwards... *drool*

2007 Jul 18
My goodness that sounds delicious! www.recipegoldmine.com

If you have a couple of hours to arrange banana slices, you might get it to look like this one: www.flickr.com ;-)

2007 Jul 19
Oooh yes. That picture is looking good, but it needs a lot of mocha flavoured whipped cream on top with chocolate shavings... sounds like a good breakfast to me.

2007 Jul 19
If ever you don't feel like making it from scratch, the one at Allium is amazing. 'Too die for' doesn't even cover it.......

However, I don't know if Allium is back open yet? I haven't heard a word about it since the fire.

2007 Jul 19
Yep - my boyfriend JUST saw it open yesterday.

2007 Jul 19
Hallelujah!!!

I just said to hubby this morning that I hope it opens soon so we can go for our anniversary again in August. That's where we went last year for the first time and have been back about 4 times since. LOVE IT!

Banoffee pie here I come! :)

2007 Jul 19
I seem to remember that one method of cooking the condensed milk involves cooking it right in the can and hoping it doesn't explode...where did I read that now? Something about traditional Australian desserts I think?

2007 Jul 19
I could be wrong - but I think I saw that on Take Home Chef (with Curtis the Australian). He made a Banoffee pie on one episode.
Could that be where you saw it? I am sugesting this because I have also seen/read that somewhere recently so it can't be just a coincidence - unless it was on this forum!

2007 Jul 19
The cooked sweetened condensed milk is also called Dulce de Leche in South America (especially Argentina, where it's in everything!).

www.milk.com
www.popular-traditional-argentina-food.com

2007 Jul 19
Mmm Banoffee at Allium IS amazing... I know they scheduled to reopen last Friday. The condensed milk will only explode if the heat is too high or if the water runs out and you start to boil the cans dry :O Dangerous, but all part of the EXCITEMENT!!!

2007 Jul 21
Pic #1 of the banoffee, less the whipped cream...

2007 Jul 21
Extreme closeup.

*drool*

2007 Jul 21
Nice! Sorry to have forced you to painstakingly arrange the banana slices! ;-)

Are you willing to post your recipe for us?

2007 Jul 22
Of course! I followed the original recipe, but added chocolate shavings. www.iandowding.co.uk

Arranging the banana slices wasn't that painstaking... but the cheat to this (if you don't want the elaborate presentation) is to slice the banana lengthwise and lay the banana on the toffee along the curvature of the pie crust.

I'm enjoying some for breakfast as I type... yummy!