BEEP [Science]

2012 Jan 27
I'm annoyed. Seems like every new small kitchen appliance I buy beeps... multiple times, very loudly. For example: My new kitchenaid toaster beeps when I start toasting, and beeps three times when it's done toasting. The coffee maker beeps when it's done, and every 15 minutes after that to tell me the coffee is getting old. The microwave beeps 3 times when the time is up. I guess I am more concerned with the volume than anything else. I don't need to hear the toaster from the basement. Any idea if it's possible to turn the volume down? Where is the beeping even coming from? Can I cover it with a piece of duct tape or something?

2012 Jan 27
I second Tourist's message!! My fridge beeps if I leave the door open. When I am doing a weekly sort and wipe (4-5 minutes) I really don't want to unplug it! I beeps once to start, then with increasing frequency. If I am really slow it shuts off the light. I can buy time by shutting the door and re-starting the whole sequence but its still irritating. I never wanted such a "relationship" with my fridge!

My stove, microvave and smoke detector (when it needs batteries!) also beep. Sometimes it takes a few tries to figure out which gadget needs my attention.

And yes, all can be heard from the cellar and the attic!

2012 Jan 27
If you look in an inconspicuous place and see a series of little holes, it may be the speaker grille. Apply tape as appropriate. WARNING: Check to make sure that it is not a cooling vent, though.

Alternatively, if the warranty is expired, recruit a tech-savvy pal to open the offending appliance and disconnect the speaker.

Or be like me: own a big bunch of old school lo-tech appliances that are silent, and convince yourself that it is "shabby chic" instead of "early yard sale" :).

2012 Jan 28
Darn' it! The subject line got my hopes up that one of my fave East Coast guilty pleasures was available again! beepjuice.blogspot.com/

2012 Jan 28
Ha ha, I also thought of Beep juice :-) Though I can't say I've every actually drunk it

2012 Jan 28
Me too! I was immediately transported back to my childhood.

2012 Jan 28
I hate the beeping of my new "convection toaster oven" and my dog really hates all those high pitch beeps. As for "Beep" I am dating myself--when I was a child it was part of the milkman order in North Bay, Ont. This service stopped when I was about 10-12 years old. Delivery included all dairy products, Beep and sliced white bread. We had this special little box at the "back"! door and you could leave them a note if you wanted to change your regular order. No wonder I hate pumping my own gas...BTW...my milkman's name was Skippy!

2012 Jan 28
WOW, off topic, but I'm also from North Bay...no beeps. I grew up in Corbeil and am 40..just.

But, I do have a bunch of beeps. My coffee maker 3x when done or shutting off, my fridge when open too long or temp too low, my cooktop when water is on it, or when something is left on buttons too long, or my range when someone leans on door, or dishwasher when done...or UPS.

2012 Jan 29
Get the commercial grade appliances. Our washer/dryer has, quite literally, no bells or whistles. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even buzz when the dryer is done. We have two older Braun coffee makers that we keep in top fighting form that only beep 5x when the coffee is ready. Bleeping fridge? Lord, no. Our toaster oven has a bell. The Dragonlady is having a hard time sourcing an iron that doesn't make a lot of noise. The timer on the stove will go on forever unless shut off. I tend to use the timer on my phone anyway because I may not hear the stove time depending on where I am.

We're very conscious of the beeps and bloops and try to minimize them wherever possible.

It is certainly possible to modify your appliance with a switch to turn off/on the speaker. A drill or a Dremel, a soldering iron (and solder) and a switch are all that are needed.

2012 Jan 29
I second "Get the commercial grade appliances."

I'm old enough to remember when a Heavy Duty appliance meant 'little tank' ... but now commercial grade (usually) means 'little tank' and Heavy Duty means DISPOSABLE. Usually 10 years max.

An appliance sales man at one of the big electronic stores told me only to expect 5 years out of a Heavy Duty dishwasher, under 1 wash per day use.

I did bring up this 'disposable society' issue with a family member once. She told me if we didn't have it this way, the 65% consumer-based economy would collapse.

2012 Jan 29
The fridge at our new place doesn't make any noises. I miss the one from our previous place that had an ice and water dispenser but that its another story. For the fridge BEEPers, please post what kind you have. Perhaps we can help each other? Here are some solutions that may help?

LG: the alarm can be deactivated by holding the button down for three seconds. Re-activate it by holding the button again for three seconds.

Samsung: www.ehow.com

For us, the stove and toaster/convection small oven both beeps upon pre-heat and alarm / off. At out old place you could not hear it as the kitchen was downstairs and the rest of the place was upstairs. I ended up getting an old school darkroom timer. Its noise was even more obnoxious and loud (not a beep per say more of an eeeeeeehhhh) but it could be heard anywhere. Worked much better than the tea timer for making coffee in the Bodem as my guy would get distracted, miss it (even if he was right there) and would more often than not get bitter coffee. We also used it for sous vide eggs, a longer cooking timer ie/ remember to baste or whatever. Still use it in our next place even though the kitchen is just down the hall and no longer on another floor.

2012 Jan 29
You can easily and cheaply disable the beeps and tones from all modern appliances by simply wearing ear plugs while operating them. HTH