Low-fat cake/spectacular dessert recipe? [Recipes]

2007 Jul 18
Hello,

As I noted in another post, I am making a big meal for this coming Friday for family and it has to be low fat as one of the people coming has some heart issues. In addition, they cannot have grapefruit or apples because the conflict with medication.

I have been searching around for cake recipes that are truly low in fat but have not found what I would consider a good one. I have seen lots of good carrot cake recipes but they all have apple sauce so that knocks them out.

Alternatively, Are there any other gourmet quality low fat dessert recipes out there that people would recommend? Normally when I do a meal like this I do what I consider to be fairly spectacular dessert.... going for what I might call the ooooohh ahhhh factor but the low fat restrictions have made this challenging!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

2007 Jul 18
my fallback, no fail cake is always angelfood cake. make it with lemon juice and lemon zest, garnish with a lemon glaze (i use bourbon in my glaze), fresh ontario raspberries and whipped cream.

2007 Jul 18
This is the recipe with which I earned my Baking badge in brownies, oh-so many years ago:

Hazelnut Torte

2 Tbsp Flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1/2 c sugar
1 c hazelnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Blend eggs & sugar in blendar until smooth. Add Hazelnuts and blend. Mix flour and baking powder together, then add to blender and mix until just combined. Pour into two 8" round cake pans (lined with parchment or oiled). Bake 20 minutes. Allow cakes to cool, then layer with whatever strikes your fancy.

Lower fat options include strained low or no fat yogurt with banana. In the past the heavier options have been whipped cream with nutella and bananas or jam.

This can either be a very light or very heavy dessert, depending on what you use to fill the cake. Always delicious though.

2007 Jul 18
Angel Food Cake is known as being really low in fat. Also, check out the www.lightandtasty.com, you can filter to low-fat/low-cholesterol recipes.

I filtered "low-fat" and "low cholesterol" with the advanced search and it came up with the following recipes (among others) which seem look quite elegant in the photos:

recipes.lightandtasty.com

2007 Jul 19
What about a trifle? You could make one using cubes of angel food cake, low-fat vanilla pudding and fresh berries. Those who are not as heart-conscious might also add a dollop of whipped cream.

2007 Aug 1
thank you very much for all your suggestions!!!! They were helpful and will be in the future as well!