Dinner party inspiration needed [General]

2012 Jan 20
I am cooking for seven tomorrow night, I'm set for my starter and dessert but am struggling with my main. I want to do something moderately interesting, but am up against the following from my guests:

No fish
No game
No pork
No bones

Chicken breast and beef are duuuuuulllllllll. I need inspiration - help! I'm open to the idea of vegetarian if someone has any funky ideas. Spice, herbs and heat are all fine.

2012 Jan 20
I've had good luck with braised short ribs before -- serve it on polenta or mashed potatoes? It's not super thrilling but it is delicious.

There's also a dish called kibbeh which I've made before -- just be careful not to overcook it: www.choosy-beggars.com

Otherwise, I've made vegetarian moussakas before with luck. Layers of eggplant, lentils with tomatoes and spices, zucchini, topped with either a bechamel or a creamy, nutmeg spiked mashed potato.

I think all of these allow you the possibility to do most of the work prior to guest arrival which is, for me, key to having fun at my own dinner party (read: drinking)... Unless this is some fancy pants dinner party in which case you might want to check out Modernist Cuisine.

2012 Jan 20
Johnny English My North African vegetable stew has been a hit. Most of it can be prepared in advance - you can just sautée the chicken at serving time or omit altogether if you would like to provide a vegetarian option.

This stew involves a bit of work but it is really worth it. The flavors blend after a day or two so it tastes even better the next day.

North African Vegetable Stew

Louise Crosby
The Ottawa Citizen
November 17, 1993

The chickpeas:

1/2 cup dried chickpeas, ocvered with cold water and soaked overnight
3 thin coins of fresh ginger
1 large bay leaf
1 1-inch cinnamon stick
1 quart of cold water

Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place them in a medium-sized saucepan with ginger, bayleaf, cinnamon stick and water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium; cook chickpeas, uncovered at a gentle boil until very tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Set aside and let the beans cok in their broth. Don't remove the flavorful spices or bay leaf until you add the beans and broth to the stew later.

The spices:

1.5 tsp. cinnamon, preferrably freshly ground
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 large pinch of saffron threads
1 tbsp. hot water

In a small bowl combine the cinnamon, tumeric and cayenne. In a separate bowl, steep the saffron threads in the hot water. Set the spices and saffron aside.

The stew:

2.5 lbs. fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped, about 4 cups, or two 16 oz. cans tomatoes with juice, chopped
Salt
2 cups broccoli florets
1.5 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium-size yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 lb. new potatoes
3 medium-sized carrots, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/2-inch strips on a diagonal, about 3 cups
1 medium-size red or yellow bell pepper, cut into thick strips and then triangles, about 1 cup
1/2 small head cauliflower (2 cups florets)
Cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
2 tsp. chopped cilantro

If you're using canned tomatoes, cook them in a medium-size saucepan with 1 tsp. salt over low heat while you prepare the vegetables. (The extra cooking time will reduce their acidity.)

While the tomatoes are cooking, bring a small pot of water to a boil and add 1/4 tsp. salt. Drop the broccoli into the water for about 1 minute, until just tender. Drain and rinse under cool water. Set aside.

Heat 1 tbsp. of the olive oil in a large skillet; add the onion and 1/2 tsp. salt. Sauté over medium heat until the onion begins to release its juices, 7 to 8 minutes; add the garlic, ginger and the spice mixture.

Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup chickpea broth, the potatoes and the carrots; cover the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes. Then add the peppers, cover, and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the cauliflower; stir and cook, uncovered, until just heated through.

Add the fresh or canned tomatoes, saffron water, chickpeas and all of their remaining broth. Stew, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend. Add salt and cayenne to taste. Add the broccoli a few minutes before serving, then stir in the mint and cilantro.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

2012 Jan 20
Elk
Bison
Lasagna
Venison
Beef brisket
Duck breast, sausage

...and then I read "no game"...haha

jambalaya would be fun.

2012 Jan 20
I thought about posting Jambalaya too and then didn't... I wasn't sure if shrimp were ok since fish was out and you'd have to sub for a non-pork sausage. However, it is mighty tasty.

2012 Jan 20
Thanks for the suggestions.

PB&A, short ribs fall foul of the "no bones" stipulation. (Why do people have a problem with eating meat from bones, but are entirely happy eating a lump of arse muscle? Are these the same people who set all of their clocks ten minutes fast and then convince themselves that it's the correct time?)

Moussaka, stew and jambalaya all sound nice, but I was kind of hoping to do something a little fancier than a one pot meal. Sorry to be a pain, you can see my challenge here....

Edit: just had a mail from the "no pork" guy to say he can't make it. That makes life a little easier.

2012 Jan 20
Anyone a pasta expert? I'm thinking of perhaps doing ravioli, but wondered how far in advance I can prepare them.

2012 Jan 20
fondue! you can do a broth based one for meats and a cheese one for bread & veg.

dumplings or perogies are also always fun.

thin crust, gourmet pizza.

i'm a vegetarian and i much prefer having a selection of smaller choices at meal time than one big main.

2012 Jan 20
Also, something a little different and more interesting than ravioli is a roulade. Home of Fresh Pasta sells them, but you could easily make your own.

www.joyofkosher.com

www.loveourlamb.co.uk

2012 Jan 20
HFF, that looks like a really good idea. For six people I could make three different roulades (one vegetarian, one beef, one lamb perhaps) with an interesting salad and a tomato sauce to accompany them. Good work, thank you.

2012 Jan 20
Whoops! My bad. I mean, the meat should slip right off the bones, no one need ever to know... (All meat comes off some sort of bone at some point).

While we're talking about roulades, something like this too if you're looking for meat: www.quick-german-recipes.com .

Or if pork's in... ruhlman.com

2012 Jan 20
Please invite me and my friends, we eat everything, EVERYTHING!!!!!!

2012 Jan 20
So, the menu is finalised - going safe with a classic Italian selection.

Zuppa - Winter minestrone with home made focaccia
Prima - Gnocchi alla Bava (thank you Silver Spoon)
Secondi - Roast Pork with Lemon, Red Cabbage in Port and Red Wine
Dolci - Chocolate Mousse with Vanilla Foam

The gnocchi, the cabbage and the vanilla foam are new dishes for me - the rest I've done before. Thanks for your help, all.

2012 Jan 21
Sounds delicious. Best of luck!

2012 Jan 21
Er... wasn't no pork one of the criteria?

2012 Jan 22
"no pork guy" couldn't make it.

2012 Jan 22
How'd it go? Sounds like a delicious meal.

2012 Jan 22
Had a blonde moment and overcooked the pork, but apart from that it was great. Gnocchi was a home run - I took the advice of the internet and made it several hours in advance, froze them on a baking sheet and then cooked them from frozen. Came out perfectly - fluffy and light.

Also made twice as much bread dough as I needed, so I put half of it in the fridge in a ziploc bag and let it prove overnight - freshly baked bread this morning is helping to dispel the hangover caused by the frankly disgraceful amounts of wine we managed to consume.

Thanks all for your advice and assistance.