Annie and Clyde's [General]

2012 Jan 20
I was told that Annie and Clyde's formerly Mexi's on bank is opening tonight. Same owners as Mexi's and Felina's. Cross your fingers hope it's good!

2012 Jan 20
They ARE open tonight! I cannot wait!

2012 Jan 20
I wandered by tonight. Same crowd hanging out at the bar as Mexi's had. I didn't eat there, but grabbed a menu - standard BBQ stuff (Side Ribs, pulled pork, beef brisket and Chicken), Sides are standard (Potato Salad, cole slaw, fries, mashed potatoes, beans, mac and cheese, collard greens, tomato and cucumber salad) plus they kept the fajitas, nachos and guacamole from Mexi's (the only three things I liked from there...)

All mains come with two sides and corn bread - Ribs are pricey ($14.95 for a quarter rack, $20.95 for a half and $34.95 for a full rack) the rest are reasonable (pulled pork at $15.95, same for brisket and half chicken)

2012 Jan 21
I was also told that the same servers are there along with the same kitchen staff. Wow $34 for a full rack compared to Smoque at $22 seems a bit unreasonable.

2012 Jan 21
$34, but it comes with two sides and cornbread - with a side costing $3 - $5 and cornbread $2.50, it is about the same. However that asks the question - what if you only want one side?

2012 Jan 23
"...what if you only want one side?"

Stop making crazy talk.

:)

2012 Jan 23
Well then the prices are the same guess it is time to give them a try and see if they can compete with Smoque

2012 Jan 29
Tried this out last night - it was decent without being particularly special. The pulled pork and the brisket were both reasonably well cooked, sauces were excellent and worked well with the meats, the cornbread was outstanding, collard greens were disappointingly watery, mac and cheese and BBQ beans were both unspectacular. Portions were a very good size and I really liked the way they serve each component in individual dishes, which lends itself very well to sharing everything around - a perfect style of eating for a restaurant like this.

As already said the servers are the same which is good news, because Peter is a lovely chap and his service is attentive and friendly. They've got a couple of good beers on as well in Beau's Lug Tread and Flying Monkeys' Smashbomb Atomic IPA.

It won't win Michelin stars, but as a relatively inexpensive and low key place to have a fun meal with friends, no complaints at all.

2012 Mar 8
I had lunch here recently and will not hesitate to go back. The brisket sandwich was good with some big smoke and great bark. If you want smoke, this is the place. The chili was great, if a bit salty, with great texture and a fantastic bite. I also liberally dosed my food with their hot chipotle sauce which livened everything up. This sauce was so good I used it instead of ketchup on the excellent fries. If you need a down and dirty BBQ fix, this is the place.

2012 Mar 20
This isn't up as a vendor yet so I will add my comments here - I have had the ribs, pulled pork, fries and beans. And beer.

I found the ribs a little overcooked the first time I had them, but was told that this was an aberration and the second time, they were fine. Tore off the bone, nice chew, very good flavour, lots of meat on each rib. Good seasoning. BBQ sauce served on the side was kind of meh.

The pulled pork was good. Not too much smoke flavour in it. Fries were a sort of coated fry. I thought they were good. Everybody else liked the beans much more than I did, so take that for what it is worth - they are better than Heinz. And like I said, everybody else at my table loved them.

I had a bottle of Kichessipi, and a pint of Flying Monkeys Smashbomb (I think) - they also have Beau's and Steamwhistle on tap (nice to see Flying Monkeys). Beer selection a definite improvement on Mexis.

2012 May 6
Looks like to restaurant hasn't been added to the Vendors list.

Stopped by with friends and overall the bbq here is good.

I found prices fair (22$ for 2 meats, 2 sides and cornbread).
Had the pulled pork, juicy and tender however missing a bit of smoky taste and for the beef brisket...similar.. juicy and tender but missing that layer of bark for some good smoke flavour. 3 sauces are tabled just like fatboy's. sides were ok but nothing to rave about.

My friend ordered the pulledpork poutine and that was the highlight, strong smoke flavour and thick house patate fries with white sauce. Smoked beans were very good too.

Staff was very fun and attentive. I will return however Smoque shack is my preference still when i crave bbq.

2012 May 17
This was not good bbq, the pulled pork and chicken were not good. The sauces? Were horrid.

The waiter while attentive, was eccentric. Older man, sang a bit off tune, nothing against him, just odd.

The chili was horrible, like just chunks of sour vinegary meat with close to a dozen long hot red chili peppers.. ?? Really?? What were you thinking...

We opt'd for the sandwich, judging but the disgustingly sticky tables and dim lighting I just didn't want to spend the 40.00 <-- yes 40. on a full rack of ribs here. I figured I should try the sandwich to see how they do bbq.. well.. they don't do it well.

Corn bread had big solid corn kernels in it, and wasn't light or great. Wasn't too buttery but not what I enjoy in corn bread.

So that left the cole slaw on the bun, which was ok. Along with the fries, which were good. And my Gingerale. My gingerale was great.. thank you Canada Dry.