An evening with Frances Moor Lappé [Events]

2012 Jan 19
I just recently signed up for Ottawa's Good Food Box program. I picked up my order last night including monthly newsletter. There was an advertisement at the bottom for the following event:

USC Canada presents:
The World We Want: An Evening with Frances Moore Lappé

Wednesday, February 1st at 7:30 pm

St. Brigid's Centre for the Arts
310 St. Patrick Street

Tickets: $10

For more information you can go to the USC website at: www.usc-canada.org/lappe

2012 Jan 19
Cool

2012 Jan 19
How does the Good Food box work? Do you call the site co-ordinator and say I want to order a box?

2012 Jan 19
lovetoeat If you would like to order a box you can order in person and pay cash or order online and use paypal. If you chose the paypal route there is an extra $1.50 service charge. They don't take orders over the phone. If you choose to pay in person you should call the site co-ordinator and ask what day they are taking orders. I live in centretown and I go to the Centretown Community Health Centre. There is someone there on Wednesdays from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm to take orders and accept payment. They will give you a receipt and on delivery day you show up with your receipt and they will have your order ready for you. They don't provide bags though - the orders are all lined up in bins - so you would have to bring your own bags. I usually order a small box of veggies and there is enough to fill up the reusable grocery bag I got at Metro. I also order a fruit bag and there is enough to fill up another one of those Metro grocery bags.

The Good Food Box has three size boxes available: a small box for $10, a medium box for $15, or a large box for $20. During the growing season you can buy a box of organic produce for $25 and there is only one size available. (I'm not sure how big it is since I just started using this program last December.) You can also buy a fruit bag for $5.

I buy a small box since I live alone and there are mostly veggies in the box although they add some fruit. I eat alot of fruit so I order a fruit bag to top up. I find the amount of fruits and veggies I order lasts a couple of weeks. The deliveries are only once a month so for the last two weeks I top up at the grocery store. (Or the farmers market in Ottawa South when I have a chance to go.)

This month I got the following items in my basket:

carrots (3 lb. bag)
onions (3 lb. bag)
beets (x4)
bok choy (x3)
snow peas (170 g package)
mushrooms (about 1/2 lb.)
apples (x2)
pears (x2)
bananas (x4)

And in my fruit basket I got:

bananas (x6)
apples (x4)
kiwis (x6)
oranges (x6)

I find I get my money's worth and I have been happy with the produce I received so far.