Medieval European Cooking? [General]

2012 Jan 19
So is anyone else on this site into medieval European cooking? I got into it via my involvement with the Society for Creative Anachronism. We haven't been as active since moving to Ottawa, and so I haven't made anything from my medieval cookbooks in a while. If there's a few of us, it might be fun to get together to make a meal sometime...

2012 Jan 19
I've read tons of novels from that time period. I haven't gone past tearing hunks of bread and eating them with cheese. Or watering down my wine.

As a result of the novels though, I've wanted to try mead.

What would be made ? I don't think we can easily find a boar, or want to eat the local pigeons.

2012 Jan 19
I make my own mead and I've dabbled in medieval cooking, but not quite at the SCA level (though I used to do archery with the SCA when I lived in Montreal). I'm not ready to grind my own flour or forge my own knives ;-)

Finding a boar is easy enough, there are several farms in the region, but it's expensive and not really necessary I think. Lamb, beef, chicken and many others where available in Europe in the Middle Ages. It's more on the vegetables side that you have to be careful if you want to be authentic. No potatoes or tomatoes for example...

2012 Jan 19
Mmmmmmm Gruuuuuueeellllllll !!!!!!!!

2012 Jan 19
We have a couple of medieval cookbooks and have made a couple of items from them. We use them more as a reference when cooking and trying to find the best way to make something. We use some of these recipes as a basis for looking at another more complicated dish to try to find out what needs to be in it and what can be left out. Sort of forensic cooking, or deconstruction of a dish.

2012 Jan 19
There are some very active SCA groups in Ottawa if you are still interested in that. I know a number of people involved

2012 Jan 21
Zym - We've done some things with the local SCA group; we're just too busy between my work and my husband's Army course to get to do much on a regular basis. Hoping to get back into the swing of things this summer, assuming we don't get posted out.

We don't grind our own flour or make our own knives either, Isabelle ;-) Mostly what I like to do is be able to take dishes to SCA potlucks. I've also helped cook a couple of large feasts - generally not in charge of any one dish, but help with prep and plating as needed.

I personally enjoy the different flavor profiles offered by medieval food. By no means is it all gruel or overspiced and rotten. It can be unexpected to run into what we consider sweet spices in main dishes, but yummy, too. I also like seeing the predecessors of modern favorites - like "losyns", which seems to be a predecessor of mac n cheese or lasagna...

Personal favorites have included "chicken nuggets" with almond breading, a meat pie made with red wine, saffron, currants and pine nuts (IIRC), and a recipe posted online from Cariadoc's Miscellany called "Another Crust for Tame Creatures" - basically like a quiche with plums, chicken thighs and mild cheese.

2012 Mar 19
I saw this ad (www.kemptvillec.uoguelph.ca) in the Kemptville Advance for the 3rd annual U. of Guelph/Kemptville Campus Medieval Festival and thought to post it here in case anyone might be interested - looks like a fun event to take kids to, esp. gr 4 as I think they do a medieval unit in class. Unfortunately, no mention of food or fine medieval dining.

Here's a bit of video from last year's event:

2012 Mar 23
This week's Kemptville Advance & EMC have more info on the above 5th annual event. It's actually organized by students as part of a course. There will be food on site there, including Ogre's Toes and Dragon Scales (nummy!), and there will be beer (yay!) provided by Kichesippi Brewery (more yays!). There is other stuff too - info in this article: www.emckemptville.ca