Cooking Classes in Ottawa [General]

2012 Jan 16
I've lived in a lot of food friendly cities across the world and I always try to take a few classes wherever I am and on whatever food related subject is offered. I'm glad to see Ottawa has an up and coming foodie attitude. Over the years I have been at classes at Algonquin, Urban Element, Superstore and the Lcbo. I have recently moved back and started thinking about new classes. In the past my impressions OVERALL were good.
I have to say I didn't love the Superstore experience (NO WINE PAIRING) and the chefs seem to have to promote Superstore products. I asked a few of them who told me they aren't allowed to mention other suppliers and that the ingredient's all come from Superstore-which is fine, but I get put off by agendas like that. I also found the classes got cancelled often. Some locations are better than others, loved Orleans and College Square, didn't love Westboro or Merivale.
The Urban Element is quite good, the instructor chefs are fun, and all clearly on their best behaviour(HAHA) if you know any cooks you know this can be a challenge. Great room, support staff and management are very professional. Algonquin is missing the wine pairings as well but the setting is great for anyone who hasn't been in a professional cooking setting. The instructors are great, and they teach for a living so they understand the inherent challenges of hands on.
The Lcbo seems to me a great mix of all the elements needed for an infotainment event, some info, some insider tips and tricks, professional beverage pairings. The price is great.
Standout chefs, some of whom I haven't seen there in years are; David Coyne, Hector Diaz, Warren Sutherland, Derek Benitz, David Fairbanks, Michael Blackie used to do them and was hilarious, likewise for Philip Wood.
Can anyone who has taken these classes or others around town recommend other venues, chefs or comment on the ones I mentioned, I'm always looking for something new? Are any of these chefs still around?

2012 Jan 16
Pete, how were the prices across the board. Best value?

2012 Jan 16
Pork Belly Pete Welcome back to Ottawa! I have been taking classes frequently at the Urban Element and I love how they bring in local chefs and focus on local ingredients and wines. If you can get in on a class with Tanya Skeates I would highly recommend it. She is a fountain of knowledge in addition to being enthusiastic.

I have also taken a few classes at Loblaws in Vanier and one at the Superstore in Westboro (although some time ago). I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about the instructors being expected to push Loblaws/Superstore products so I don't place them near the top of my priority list.

Last fall I took a couple of walking tours with C'est Bon Cooking. I confess I haven't taken any of their cooking classes yet but Chef Andrée Riffou and tour guide Paola St. Georges are enthusiastic about promoting the local food scene.

Some other establishments that offer cooking classes are: La Bottega Nicastro in the Byward Market and DiVino Wine Studio on Preston Street. The Ottawa Carleton District School Board also offers cooking classes at various locations around town but wine pairings are not included.

A Taste of Winterlude is on next month and some of the participating restos will be offering some cooking classes/demonstrations. (Neither IE nor firefox will let me onto their site right now but you can find more info at www.canadascapital.gc.ca and follow the links to A Taste of Winterlude.)

2012 Jan 16
Concerning value/$, depends on what you are really looking for.
Superstore 3/10
Urban Element 8/10(have taken Tanya Skeats classes both UE and Lcbo)
Algonquin 7/10
Lcbo 8.5/10- because the classes used to be between $50 and $85, think they are similar now, but you get three to four dishes and 3-4 wine/bev pairings.

2013 Nov 1
Has anyone taken actual courses at C'est bon cooking. A friend and I just registered to hone our cooking skills. I was wondering if anyone had any prior experience they could share.

2013 Nov 1
Another good place to take classes is Cuisine and Passion in Orleans.

2013 Dec 2
So far so good. The level 1 classes at C'est bon cooking are fairly basic, but my friend and I, fairly seasonned home cooks, are learning a lot of tricks. The cuisine is very French, the Chef is Ottawa and Paris Cordon Bleu trained. She is friendly, skillful and knowledgeable. All in all, it has been a great experience to date. Three courses remaining, I will be back for more ...

2013 Dec 2
BN,

What types of tricks are you learning? Seems the classes are in 6 classes of 2 hrs? Do you have to take all the classes as a block or can someone just join a class?