Wanted: posh table/kitchen linens. Well, LINEN linens. [General]

2007 Jul 16
I'm looking for 100% linen dishcloths -- or 'tea towels'? Or napkins?
Whatever -- rectangles or squares of cloth; nothing formal or starchy, just good fabric, the sort of linen that'll go super-soft with washing. I want them to be pretty plain, too.

These ultra-basic things are always the hardest to find...

All I can think of is JD Adam in the Glebe. Any other likely places?

(I did find them on-line, but at horrifying prices. I might pay a horrifying price if I could feel it and say 'Ah, yes -- luxurious and worth it,' but "15x23 bit of cloth -- $20" on a web site just doesn't appeal.)

2007 Jul 16
A new store just opened in downtown Merrickville (near Smiths Falls I believe), that specializes in all things Linen. They would certainly have what you need, or would find a way to get it for you.

I can get you more info if you need as the owner is a friend of mine.

2007 Jul 16
Are you looking for unfinished linen? C&M Textiles on Merivale should be able to order you some on the bolt.

If you are looking for table linens (table cloths, napkins), you can buy some nice vintage (used) stuff at the Vintage Clothing Sale that happens every year in November at the Chateau Laurier.

Other places for vintage linens is at antique shops. You would be surprised at how much is out there!

2007 Jul 17
Thanks!

Unfinished linen is a possibility -- I can't do much by way of hemming, but expect anybody with a sewing machine could sort it out for me for cheap.

Waiting til November: no...

I am having a baby sometime between now and August. I've had it with stuff like "burp cloths" being overpriced and hideous and made of vile fabric, grotesquely coloured or patterned, that'll pill in no time. Why is so much baby stuff so awful (or super-expensive)? Anyway, I just want what're basically really nice rags to wipe up blurp (and if I can get large squares, use as blankets), stuff that'll soften in the wash rather than pill.

(Of course this is a first child. By #3 I'll be using stained J-cloths, I know...)

If the Merrickville store isn't brutally overpriced, throw me a name?

2007 Jul 17
Congratulations on having a baby, kmennie! That is wonderful.

I know you've said that you've looked online already and this might be overstating the obvious but I tend to buy everything I can't find in stores or feel is overpriced on ebay. It's fantastic.

2007 Jul 17
If you are looking for table linens there is always O'Sheas on Sparks st....

2007 Jul 17
Linden Tree.
205 Main St. West, Merrickville.
613 269 2658

It shouldn't be overpriced. Definitely quality stuff, and definitely worth a look.

Let me know how it goes.

2007 Jul 18
it is not linen, but i use the tea towels that are from sugar bags or something? they have neutral colours and are very soft. they wash up really well. i see them everywhere sold in packs of 3 for under $10.

but i also don't see burp cloths as that much more expensive, unless you are getting organic ones? you can use old towels, old t-shirts (so soft), wash cloths, ect. friends of mine were excellent recyclers and nothing went to waste, old clothes got turned into tea towels, pads, cloths, ect.