Chinese buffet recommendation [General]

2012 Jan 11
Going out for chinese buffet and looking for advice... Preferably not too far east or west

2012 Jan 11
i wish i could recommend one.

2012 Jan 11
chopper Do you like AYCE sushi? If so I can recommend Kirin Express. I know it's not Chinese but the closest I can think of-;)

If you don't mind going a little further south I can recommend Mongolian Hot Pot on Bank near Riverside. I went there last spring and it was certainly a fun experience. They bring you a broth (you have a choice between mild, spicy or vegetarian I believe?) and you go up to the buffet to pick your ingredients and dipping sauces. It's worth a trip to Old Ottawa South if that would interest you...

2012 Jan 11
The buffet my Chinese friends always pick for group outings is Emerald Buffet on Selkirk. Actually, there are usually many Chinese customers here, which I take as a good sign in a Chinese restaurant.

It doesn't have good reviews here, but then again, we always go for the weekend brunch buffet, which has lots of dim sum selections. How could you go wrong with all you can eat dim sum? And things can't have been under the heat lamps for hours if you go early.

And there are plenty of "non-chinese" or "canadian-chinese" options in that buffet too, for those who don't want to risk a bite of century egg ;-)

2012 Jan 11
I second the buffet on Selkirk, but it's right on Montreal road on the right in that Plaza. Soon as you go over the bridge from Rideau St.

It used to be called Du Barry. The name might have survived actually in the Gatinuea location. They tend to have the most authentic chinese dishes.. mixed in with the normal Canadian chinese foods.

There's also the international buffet on Carling ave. They do a bunch of different foods, Indian Butter chicken etc. Selection is pretty interesting and we have gone there quite a few times.

None of the food you'll find in a buffet place in Ottawa is GREAT. It's decent or /ok/ at best.

2012 Jan 11
@Ravi re "None of the food you'll find in a buffet place in Ottawa is GREAT. It's decent or /ok/ at best." - you know an AYCE Chinese buffet in another north american city that is any better than 'ok'?

2012 Jan 11
@SoloMeal.. point to you sir.. I suppose that statement was a bit master of the obvious eh. :) I was just setting the fellows expectations.

2012 Jan 11
I suspected, but I tend to chime in when Ottawa is raised as some sort of dining pariah. Ottawa chinese trough buffets are hardly worse than anywhere else, tho that's hardly saying much.