Kitchen butcher block tables [General]

2012 Jan 1
Does anyone know where I can buy one locally?

2012 Jan 1
Do you mean wood strip countertop or an actual end-grain butcher-block table? If the former, you can go to IKEA and get a length of their NUMERÄR or LAGAN countertop and add a couple of legs.
www.ikea.com

If the latter, I think you'd be looking at something about 4x that expensive and I couldn't help you. I mean, I know enough guys who could make you one, for sure ... but none of them have the time as they're all busy making furniture for a living.

Maybe try Dante's Furniture or (shudder) Bond's Decor. Warning: Bond's has access to a lot of catalogue furniture, but don't let them actually make you anything. They did something for me and it was completely wrong (5' high and 3' wide instead of the other way around) and they wouldn't take it back. I told them this as they were unloading it and they said that they'd either take it in the house or leave it in the driveway, but I WAS taking delivery. The delivery guy was one of the owners.

2012 Jan 1
I am actually looking for the finished product. Dante's web site says that they are closed and I find Bond's to be extortionately expensive. I will check out Ikea. Thanks!

2012 Jan 1
Pug, are you buying it for looks or functional use?

2012 Jan 1
I would guess both. A way of entertaining in the kitchen.

2012 Jan 1
Some info in this thread on some local companies who will custom build for you - but it is really expensive. Ikea is way, way cheaper.

Forum - Hardwood Countertops

2012 Jan 2
Yes, IKEA would be cheaper, but they don't have any end-grain countertops. I think that's what Tree Pug is looking for.

I know the style: a solid butcher block top with a white painted apron and legs. This is a common style for that 'country' look. If it weren't so cold in my shop I could probably work something up for you myself in a couple of months. That's how long it would take to cut, glue up and properly finish a top like that along with the rest. It'd be heavy, too. For the end-grain blocks to have enough strength to hold together, the tabletop would have to be at least 3" thick. You can imagine how much that much maple would weigh. We aren't even talking about having drawers or anything. Just a plain apron all around.

Seriously, look at the wooden countertops and a couple of add-on legs. You should be able to find someone to put an apron on underneath if you want one. It isn't necessary though. You can even cut the tabletop to the proper size if it is solid wood, unlike any of the malamine covered ones. This is how I did a good portion of our counters.

2012 Jan 3
i saw one at kitchenalia...it might have been an antique one, can't quite remember.

2012 Jan 4
They have them at Hendrix (restaurant supply store in the strip mall near the Ikea). I was just there last week, but I can't remember the price.

2012 Jan 6
Also don't forget second hand is an option. Taking a sander to it (or having it plained) will usually give you a nice fresh start. Check Kijij, UsedOttawa, Craigslist in Ottawa and further afield. Good search words: butcher block, kitchen cart, kitchen island, Groland, Bekvam, Forhoja

www.ikea.com