Source for Styrofoam shipping containers and gel packs [General]

2011 Dec 13
Hi Foodies,

If I wanted to ship something at 5C over 24h - 48h, which I think it possible with a Styrofoam shipping box and gel packs, where could I buy such items either in Ottawa or online at a good price?

2011 Dec 13
You can get the shipping boxes from most aquarium shops/pet shops for free if you call ahead and ask them for some. I'm sure that the chemical heat packs you can get at most pharmacies would work, but if you're shipping food you would need to make sure you vacuum seal them before shipping in case they break. I have a friend who ships live fish all over Canada, she charges customers a $10 packing fee, I could ask her if she would do your stuff if you want.

2011 Dec 13
@Stuart,

That's a good idea ! Tropical fish are shipped in styrofoam boxes. I'll check a few places. Thanks.

2011 Dec 14
A friend of my mother gets her meds shipped in a heavy styro box in a heavy cardboard box just jammed up with industrial gel packs. I just asked her and she gave me some for our trip home last summer. You could try to troll through the retirement homes and see if you can make any new friends that way.

2011 Dec 14
@rizak, thanks I'm going to check it out.

2011 Dec 15
any fish market...but they might need a good rinse