I love Guy Fieri [General]

2011 Dec 12
There, I said it. His show is evil. Every time I turn the channel, I am left wondering 'why don't I live in Minneapolis or Columbus or Birmingham' or any other secondary US town where these excentric chefs/restaurateurs make their living?!

Next time I travel stateside, I'm doing an exclusively DDD itinerary. I am free at last, of my TripAdvisor shackles!

2011 Dec 12
Can the food really always be that good? He wouldn't say on TV if the food was bad, so either he fakes it, or they just don't show the bad parts on TV.

2011 Dec 12
I hit two restaurants he recommend that didn't meet expectations in Arizona. Most we tried were really good. Will still use his list on our trip to Vegas and LA in February.
www.flavortownusa.com

2011 Dec 13
The FN scouts his locations before he goes there, and the restaur knows he's coming and isn't likely to serve up crap.

It seems unlikely that every place on the show hits the same level they serve when Fieri is there at all times. That said, it always looks awesome, and i'm tempted, which is sort of the point of the show.

2011 Dec 13
We have been to a large number of triple D restaurants on our American road trips and use Flavortownusa as a resource when traveling. Mostly all triple D's were hits. Sometimes they are just merely good but not "killer". Don't recall any abject failures. When we were in Memphis we visited Marlowe's BBQ. We talked to the owner and she told us Guy doesn't merely sample...he eats! She said that it took three days to shoot due to bad weather, and that it was inconvenient yet good for business. She also said Guy was only there for a small portion of the filming.PS...you can kinda tell when he is not all that into a place. He's really less effusive and descriptive.

2011 Dec 13
I like Guy Fieri too, but he seems to be more about quantity. For regional specialties that include, but also go beyond diner fare, I still turn to the Sterns at Roadfood.com who have never led me astray. Without them I never would have discovered Butler's colonial donut house or Abbott's lobster in the rough.

2011 Dec 13
Love the show, ive visited several places in NY, Cali, Vegas and Arizona and most of the places were amazing.

2011 Dec 13
I always thought that Jane and Michael Stern would make a great show. I hate Fieri, but the places they send him all do look good. I've been to a few of them as well and they were all pretty good. I would say we are very fortunate to have sites like flavortownusa and roadfood.com. There is a gps download that also has all triple D and foodnetwork show places to load on your tomtom. (maybe Garmin, too, not sure)

2011 Dec 14
sourdough, I'm dating myself here, but Jane and Michael Stern used to appear on "Donahue" regularly and I have MANY of their books and recipes. I've used their tips on roadfood.com to find tons of great places, and for whatever reason, the kinds of places they favor are often the 50 or 60 yr old home-cooking type places, and every year we lose more of them. Visit while you can. Their recipe for green chile cheeseburger topping is one of my favorite things to do in the summer when I break out the charcoal grill.

2011 Dec 14
I do notice when he is less enamoured about a place, or even dubious about an ingredient or process. The ones he really likes, you can tell, hard to fake that enthusiasm.

Thanks blubarry and ken for the flavortown and roadfood resources. Can't wait to use them next trip.

2011 Dec 14
another great road trip resource is www.wherethelocalseat.com Most large American cities are featured and we have found some gems there. There is an iPhone app as well.

2011 Dec 14
You guys can check out the Eat street app if you like street food from trucks...found awesome foods in NY using this app. eatst.foodnetwork.ca

2011 Dec 15
I might be more inclined to watch if he wasn't talking with his mouth full all the time..

2011 Dec 19
It's part of the show's charm... you get to see the food at EVERY stage.

I understand that next season they will follow him to the washroom to give it a more edgy vibe.

2011 Dec 28
Most controversial topic title I've seen on here, ever. :)

2011 Dec 28
as posted above i find you can really tell when he's so-so on the food...probably more fitting is when they knock it out of the park and he inhales the entire portion.

2013 Dec 1
Made this again last night. Delicious!

www.legalnews.com

2013 Dec 2
Got to bunch of his recos in California and i have to say they were without exception awesome.

2013 Dec 2
I can't say that I love Guy but many of us loved his Baltimore Beef Bad Boy sandwich with a very tasty horseradish sauce on some dark rye bread, yum, something I made for a party Sat. Many thumbs up to Guy! www.foodnetwork.com

Tree Pug that chicken `n dumplings looks delish - bet I could score some points with dw if I made that for her, the family dumpling fanatic.

2013 Dec 4
I love doing road trips in the states, and I can remember meals I ate on some of those trips from 20 years ago, but a lot of the fun is finding places on your own. Just my opinion. . . .

2013 Dec 4
@Hungry Pete - finding them on your own is totally fun, but with limited vacation time i like to have a list of places i can be certain will nail it because i'd rather not 'waste' a meal.

2013 Dec 6
Is the food the destination, or part of the journey?

2013 Dec 9
"Is the food the destination, or part of the journey?"

Yes.