Favourite sauce for meatballs? [General]

2011 Dec 8
I'm looking for a great sauce to put over meatballs. I'm having a buffet dinner for 30 at my place on Saturday. I've already amde the meatballs and will most likely need to heat them in the slow cooker.

2011 Dec 8
Hawaiian Sweet and Sour Style with fresh pineapple chunks. Yummm Yummm. A check online for recipe guides would do the trick.

..... and ... it's not the same old Swedish Meatballs or Italian Style Meatballs.

Your guests will empty the slow cooker ... If not ... I'll gladly do it !!

2011 Dec 8
This sounds gross, but its actually pretty tasty - equal parts salsa (bottled, not fresh) and grape jelly. Its a kinda sweet and sour thing. Sounds very 70's marshmallow and jello like, but its easy and actually tastes good.

2011 Dec 8
I found one in desperation online last christmas, that was something like a bottle of heinz chili sauce, part of a bottle of Welch's grape jelly, and mustard I think. I was surprised to find that it was a huge hit. Not sure if this is exactly the one I used or not, but they were quite tasty.

www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1627,133187-243197,00.html

2011 Dec 8
Indonesian satay sauce from Put a Lid on It by topp & howard - so flavourful and worthy of homemade meatballs

2011 Dec 8
I've had good luck and feedback from a classic Spanish tapas - meatballs in almond and sherry sauce...I didn't use this exact recipe, but along these lines...except substitute lamb stock for veg or chicken stock. Mine also had fried stale bread added to the sauce before blending.

www.worldsofflavorspain.com

or this recipe substituting white wine for sherry.

www.andalucia.com

I'd offer to scan my sauce-stained recipe but won't be able to do it until next week...let me know.

2011 Dec 8
A knockout recipe my girlfriend has reproduced twice with magnificent results. Let me know when we can come over.

www.esquire.com

2011 Dec 8
Mix more or less equal parts Diana (or other) smokehouse bbq sauce and any form of sweet fruit jam.
Stir.
Win.

2011 Dec 8
I thought I posted something about ginger snap cookies but it seems to have been lost - we're having Internet problems here ...

Anyways, Diana sauce makes great meatballs but when I went to make meatballs for a party I had a few weeks ago and looked at the bottle of Diana's I couldn't do it ... far too many calories!

So ... I referred to a few recipes I have that call for ginger ale - my mother uses ginger ale in her meatball sauce ... found one that used ginger snap cookies - combined what I liked from each recipes, especially the cookies AND ginger ale - also calls for ketchup/chili sauce. The cookies added a nice tang to the sauce and also served to thicken it - I'll see if I can dig up the recipe tonight ...

Happy cooking what ever you decide!

2011 Dec 8
My Fave is a bottle of the Heinz chili sauce and a can of jellied cranberry sauce whisked together. Quick, simple and generally have the ingredients on hand for just this sort of thing! :)

2011 Dec 8
I'll vouch for the easy on Refashionista mentions. It is probably not my favorite but it is really easy and really good

2011 Dec 8
I don't like sweet meatballs, these are really savoury, huge on flavour and dead simple.

Large can of crushed tomatoes
1 cup (a lot) of good grated parmesan
onion powder
garlic powder
italian seasoning
2+ cups of bold red wine

Must go in slow cooker for at least 5 hours

2011 Dec 8
Sourdough, I tried that Heinz chili sauce and grape jelly concoction and it was probably the second worst thing I've ever put in my mouth.

2011 Dec 9
Rizak, to each his own, and don't forget that bad taste is often popular. I served the grape jelly version last year on a cocktail buffet; They disappeared quickly, and several people asked for the recipe LOL. And I do think they are in the same "white trash cooking" category as salads with marshmallows in them, pinkie squares, and jello molds, all of which I can be in the mood for on occasion. Check out Ernest Matthew Mickler's "white trash cooking" for more of the same, like Tutti's Fruited Porkettes, and Rainbow Icebox Cake.

2011 Dec 9
That looks like a great gift! Maybe I can find it at ABEbooks ...

;)

2011 Dec 9
My wife and I host a fairly large party every holiday season. Last year I made chipotle meatballs from one of Rick Bayless' books. They were a huge hit. The recipe can be found here, it's pretty simple:

simplyrecipes.com

2011 Dec 9
Rizak - what ever turns (or doesn't) your crank. You probably didn't have it with heirloom organic tomato based chili sauce, and picked at midnight on the full moon grape jelly - makes all the difference! ;p BTW the cranberry sauce thing works too.

2011 Dec 9
"...You probably didn't have it with heirloom organic tomato based chili sauce, and picked at midnight on the full moon grape jelly..."

...but you wish you did.

2011 Dec 10
"People have been cooking and eating for thousands of years, so if you are the very first to have thought of adding fresh lime juice to scalloped potatoes, try to understand that there must be a reason for this."
- Fran Leibowitz

2011 Dec 11
Thanks all. I ended up doing the cranberry chili sauce mixture. Used Willie's chili sauce and added lemon zest instead of the juice. Every single meatball from the 5 lbs I made was gone by the end of the night.

I think I'll try the chipotle ones next time. Sounds wonderful!