Grilled Cheese [General]

2011 Nov 26
Hello everyone,

A friend and I have recently started a quest to find the best grilled cheese in Ottawa. We have already sampled the grilled at Art-Is-In Bakery at City Center, and we are hoping to try more soon! I'm hoping that some of you will know where to get a killer grilled cheese!

2011 Nov 26
We used to enjoy the grilled cheese at Serious Cheese when it was on Bank Street. Haven't tried it since they moved to Kanata.

2011 Nov 26
you can try one of these, but it will cost ya $28,000.

2011 Nov 26
I like making my own out of Art-is-in Levain or buttermilk bread with Serrano ham and a combination of white cheddar and havarti. Perfect comfort food. And a friend tipped me about using mayo on the bread instead of butter. It adds a nice tang.

2011 Nov 28
Francis - I don't get it ? Please fill us in ...

I think I've posted this somewhere under some other topic but my favourite cheese is Lighthall Tomme from Fifth Town in Prince Edward County. I make "adult" grilled cheese sandwiches with it at home using a variety of types of bread - pita, german/polish pumpernickel bread (very dark brown, very dense, sliced thin bread), art-is-in, bagettes, etc. I don't put anything on the bread just the cheese which is a hard cheese with a kind of hard skin/edible rind on its edges. I melt it in the toaster oven for me when I make "cheese on bread" for my children with any old cheese we happen to have.

I also really like 3 chesses pressed panini sandwishes - often made with brie and 2 other types of cheese. The press machine does the job without butter. They do a good job of this at Cantor Bakeries - 255 Albert Street downtown - a few doors West of Bank Street (North side of Road). They will add all sorts of antipasto type marinaded veggies such as mushrooms, sundried tomatos and eggplant.

Yum!

2011 Nov 28
I believe Francis is referencing the grilled cheese that sold for a crazy dollar amount as it apppears to have the Virgin Mary in the grilled portion...

www.msnbc.msn.com

2011 Nov 28
This is my favourite grilled cheese recipe. We use mango chutney already made to speed things up, and we use a dense bread, like sour dough or art-is-in beau's bread.

houseandhome.com

Grilled Cheese
1 unsliced loaf white or whole-wheat bread
Unsalted butter for spreading, softened
1 recipe Mango Chutney (see below) or 1/2 cup store-bought chutney
1-1/2 lb. (750 g) premium-quality old Cheddar cheese

Instructions:
Grilled Cheese

Step 1: Put empty baking sheet(s) in the oven. Preheat oven to 450°F.

Step 2: Meanwhile, slice bread into 3/4"-thick slices (you should get about 12 slices per loaf). Butter both sides of each slice. Spread half the slices with mango chutney (recipe below). Slice the cheese into 3/8"-thick pieces and lay on the other slices of bread. Place bread slices with chutney over slices with cheese.

Step 3: Remove hot baking sheets from oven and place sandwiches on them (leave oven on). Cook on first side about 8 minutes, until golden on bottom. Press down gently with spatula and flip over to second side and grill another 8 minutes. Slide hot sandwiches onto cutting board. Let stand 3 to 4 minutes to allow cheese to cool off slightly before slicing.

Mango Chutney
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large sweet onion, sliced thinly with the grain
2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and finely diced, about 2 cups
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp water

6 drops (or to taste) Tabasco or other Louisiana-style hot sauce
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Step 1: In a small saucepan, heat oil on low and add onion. Cook uncovered until soft and evenly browned, about 40 minutes.

Step 2: Mix in mangoes, sugar, mustard, coriander and water. Cover and cook about 20 minutes, until mangoes start to break down. Stir, uncovered, 3-5 minutes, to allow chutney to thicken.

Step 3: Season with Tabasco and black pepper.

2011 Nov 28
@flexie, just google "virgin mary grilled cheese" . . . or check the link below:

news.bbc.co.uk

2011 Nov 29
Nice one HFF. I just made one like that, but I used the new PC Bacon Marmalade instead of chutney. MMMMmmmmm. Bacon. It was delicious!

2011 Nov 29
Chutney...yum!... bacon marmalade...what???...gotta be yum!... port wine jelly on both inside pieces of 18 hr sourdough, add in some 3 yr old Balderson and butter the outsides and grill - serve with salad greens picked yesterday (that's right, still eating from the garden...yum!) and serve dw her supper...yum! Spent the afternoon making both port and gewurtztraminer wine jellies...yum!yum!yum! So good with cheese, grilled or not.

2011 Nov 30
The Elgin Street Diner does a solid massive grilled cheese on egg bread.

I'm not sure i would say it's better than Art-is-in, but it is very good in a massive block of grilled cheese soul comfort screw you arteries food sort of way, with fries.

2011 Dec 14
Thanks HFF for the new method for doing grilled cheese. I have always done it on the flat top, but I tried your method last night with Art is in buttermilk potato bread, Balderson 5 yr old cheddar and PC bacon marmalade. They came out perfectly and much less fuss than doing them on the flat top and having to cover them with pot lids/foil pans to get the cheese to melt. Thank You!