Where to Find Fresh Italian Truffles [General]

2011 Nov 20
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck finding a store that carries fresh Italian truffles or has carries them in the past. I know the Byward Fruit Market used to carry Himalayan truffles, but I am looking for the real deal.

Thanks!!

2011 Nov 20
La Bottega in the market. Very expensive as I'm sure you know.

Ron Eade recently blogged on his purchase from there. $6,000/kilo 180$/30 grams

blogs.ottawacitizen.com

2011 Nov 20
I'm going to be in Milan, and I have connections in Montreal but require a high enough buy-in from interested parties to make it worth my while. What kind of Italian truffles are you looking for? White (there are two varieties)? Black (those from France are more readily available, but there are some from Italy as well for a lower price)?

2011 Nov 20
Excellent. I will probably check out La Bottega as I would not be ordering a large quantity.

Would fresh black truffles from France be as easily accessible? I do not know of many purveyors of French food besides some cheese shops.

Thanks for the tips!

2011 Nov 21
While not carrying Truffles from France or Italy, the Byward Fruit Market regularly has fresh black truffles in during the season. I have found them to be divine and worth considering if you don't find what you are looking for elsewhere.

I don't believe I have ever had a white truffle and while I long to try some, I have that indulgance reserved for a restaurant as I don't trust myself to do them justice. Love cooking with black truffles though.

Below is one of my favourite recipes by Daniel Boulud - I think I have posted it before but here it is again.

One tip - Make sure the circles cut are big enough for the scallops you are using. (I found the size of the circles in Boulud's recipe were too small)

Maine Sea Scallops in Black Tie

The Today Show, January 30, 2006
Serves 6 as an appetizer, 4 as a main course

WHERE TO BUY TRUFFLES (fresh & preserved):
on line at chefswarehouse.com.

The season for fresh black truffles runs from December throught late February or early March.

Dishes with fresh black truffles will be served throughout the truffle season at DANIEL.

2 black truffles, fresh or canned, golf ball size, juice
    reserved

10 jumbo Maine sea scallops, very fresh and firm

Salt and freshly ground white pepper

8 ounces spinach leaves, stems discarded, leaves
    thoroughly washed

1/2 pound puff pastry

1 egg whisked with 1 teaspoon water

1/4 cup dry vermouth

1/2 cup chicken jus

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1.  Slice each truffle into 16 thin slices with a vegetables slicer or mandoline (you will need about 3 slices of truffle per scallop). Save any juice, chop the trimmings, and set both aside for the sauce.

2.  Cut each scallop horizontally into 4 slices. Reconstruct each scallop by alternating the 4 slices of scallop with 3 slices of truffle. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until needed.

3.  Wilt the spinach in a steamer or in water for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain, cool under cold running water, and drain again. Carefully spread each spinach leaf open on a kitchen towel and pat dry with a second towel.

4.  Place a layered scallop in the center of a large spinach leaf and wrap the leaf tightly and smoothly around the scallop. If the scallop is not totally enclosed in the spinach leaf, use a second leaf to seal the scallop in. Repeat the same process for each layered scallop and refrigerate until needed (discard or keep the remaining spinach leaves for other uses).

5.  Sprinkle the counter and rolling pin with flour and roll out the puff pastry until very thin, about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out 24 disks with a 1 1/2 inch round cookie cuter and 12 ribbons of puff pastry about 5 by 1 1/2 inches. Refrigerate the disks and ribbons on a floured baking sheet for 15 minutes.

6.  After the dough has rested, brush about 1 inch at one end of each ribbon with the egg wash. Place one spinach bundle on the other end of the ribbon and roll the ribbon around the bundle until it overlaps the brushed end, then press to seal. Fold the pastry edges tightly over the top and bottom of the bundle. Brush 2 disks with the egg wash and place a disk on either side of the bundle. Press well to seal. Repeat the same steps to wrap each spinach bundle in the puff pastry.

7.  Place the turnovers on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Brush each pastry lightly with the remaining egg wash. Refrigerate until ready to cook.

8.  Preheat the oven to 450°F. Bake the turnovers for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the size, or until golden (while baking, watch carefully that they do not burn).

9.  Prepare the sauce while the turnovers are baking. Pour the vermouth into a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce to 1 teaspoon, about 10 minutes. Add the reserved truffle juice and the chicken jus. Reduce to 1/4 cup and stir in the butter. Add the reserved chopped truffle trimmings. Salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.

PRESENTATION
Split the turnovers in half from top to bottom with a sharp knife. Spoon 1 tablespoon of sauce on the bottom of 4 warmed plates if serving as a main course, 6 warmed plates if serving as an appetizer. Overlap 6 turnovers halves (main course) or 4 halves (appetizer) like rose petals on top of the sauce. Serve immediately.

2011 Nov 21
Nice. That recipe sounds freaking delicious.

2012 Feb 6
Valentine's day is coming up... soooo...

Fresh perigord black truffles are being ordered! I am now a wholesaler for a major supplier in the region, so please contact me for prices, will deliver!

2012 Feb 6
Where are the truffles from?

2012 Feb 6
They're from Italy.