NYC recommendations? [General]

2011 Nov 15
I'm heading to NYC for the first time. We're staying in Greenwich Village. Anyone got any recommendations? I've checked Chowhound already, but wouldn't mind your input.

2011 Nov 15
The Gramercy Tavern, Taïm (for the best falafel EVER), Anissa, anything by David Chang's Momofuku empire - I went to the Ssam Bar, Milk Bar and Ma Peche and they were fantastic, Eataly for lunch, the Shake Shack for lunch, the list goes on... DM me for more.

2011 Nov 15
Roberta's in Brooklyn sounds suspiciously trendy, but the previous NYTimes reviewer couldn't help but give it a very positive review. I think there may be some substance here despite my initial misgivings.

www.nytimes.com

2011 Nov 15
We just came back from NYC and were trying to get to a place called "A Salt and Battery". I saw it featured on "The best thing I ever ate" for their amazing fish and chips and also the Deep Fried Mars Bar :):)

Unfortunately we never got there in our two days, but it's at 112 Greenwich Avenue (12th and 13th Streets). Supposed to be a fun place

www.asaltandbattery.com/

We did get to the Chelsea Market which is a must for any Foodie.

We ate at "The Lobster Place" - amazing fresh seafood place where you order at a window at the back. There was a HUGE line-up for their Lobster bisque. I ordered the seafood sliders. On fresh Brioche buns - one lobster roll, one shrimp roll and one crab roll with bacon. They were To.Die.For.

chelseamarket.com/

2011 Nov 15
We have been to Asalt and Battery....excellent!

2011 Nov 15
We were in NYC on Friday - we only had 2 hours (we were staying in Newark) and went to Katz's Deli. Great NY deli experience. We tried the corned beef, the pastrami and the beef brisket sandwiches - all of which came with two types of pickles (the pastrami was the standout).

Worth a visit if you're close by.

katzsdelicatessen.com/

The picture is of the beef brisket sandwich - light rye and a little mustard.

2011 Nov 15
11 madison park

2011 Nov 16
www.landmarc-restaurant.com/

Marc Murphy, awesome!!

2011 Nov 16
Seconding 11 Mad and Katz', and emphatically adding Tao or Buddakan (similar asian fusion tapas in uber cool setting so both would be redundant but either one is foodgasm-worthy).

Second Ave and Carnegie delis both worthwhile alternatives to Katz' too, tho i still give Katz' a slight edge.

2011 Nov 16
Barney Greengrass is another place that has great deli sandwiches and superb smoked fish. It's an institution!
www.barneygreengrass.com

2011 Nov 18
Highly recommend Peel's on the LES for a great breakfast. Not a diner, more upscale but still affordable and very good. Trattoria Del Arte on Broadway at about 57th. Of course if you can get in to 11 Madison go for sure!

2011 Nov 22
on the subject of 11 Mad', when you order, ask the waiter if they are offering the chocolate soufflet for dessert, because you must order it in advance... and you MUST order it. I don't even know what they charge for it and it doesn't matter... you MUST.