Favorite Food and/or Wine Show [General]

2011 Nov 14
With the big change in the Ottawa Wine and Food Festival (was 'Show'), what are your current favorite Foodie/Drinkie shows, festivals, seminars, exhibitions, symposiums, round-ups, etc.? .... and why ?

2011 Nov 14
Probably Beau's Oktoberfest for us. Totally unpretentious, just a great time - no wine, but great beer and food and music. We used to attend the Food and Wine Show in the early days when we lived within walking distance but we haven't been in years. It's also been a while since we've attended Bon Appetit but we'd probably attend it again if we got organized and found a babysitter, although the list of participating restaurants isn't as attractive as it was in earlier days.

The various Preston St. festivals (Italian Week and La Vendemmia) are usually worth while too.

If you want to count the various festivals associated with Farmer's Markets (i.e. Garlic Fest, Christmas Market etc.) those are good too. Melon Fest and Pepper PowWow at Acorn Creek we also enjoy.

2011 Nov 14
Bon Appetite....supports charity. You pay for your ticket and everything inside is free. Good cross section of what Ottawa has to offer.

2011 Nov 15
I like Feast of Fields- but did not go this year since it was moved from downtown and they raised the price by around $30 for a ticket (tickets were almost $70 per person..but unlimited food).

I also like the chrismas market that is at the museum of Civilazation.
that one is free and I think last year was the first year for that.
there are craftspeople and alsp vendors from Marche Outaouais food co-op

2011 Nov 15
Look for Ottawa Locavour Food Festival www.ottawalaff.ca

This show started last year in Beechwood and Continues this year on December 10th with Several of your favourite Ottawa Produced Foods. It was a huge hit with several of the vendors selling out twice in one day!

Michael Dolce
Stone Soup
Island Spiced
Life of Pie
Just Wing It
Happy Goat Coffee
Sirens Bakery
the Salt Don
Manotick Village Butcher
Kawalsa Salsa (They are so new that they are not available in stores yet)… But Super Yummie!
Many more including me of course - Major Craig's Chutney!

Hope to see you there

2011 Nov 16
I'll cast another vote for Bon Appetit. Feast of Fields is also quite good, but we gave it a pass this year.

Being winos, oops, make that oenophiles, we particularly like the events that are focused on wine tasting, especially if they offer some appropriate food to go with it. We rarely miss the California and New Zealand wine fairs when they come to town.

2011 Nov 16
Did anyone here go to Feast of Fields this year? I did not read any reviews on it at all.

curious what I missed!

2011 Nov 18
We went to the Kanata Wine and Food Show last night (10th Annual Food for Thought) presented by The Kanata Chamber of Commerce. The event was held at the Holiday Inn in Kanata. $60 + tax (for non chamber members) got you inside. Bonus, free parking and coat check. There were about 10 food vendors (caterers and restaurants) and lots of tables serving beer, wine and spirits.

What I liked about it was not feeling nickle and dime'd all night by having to constantly open my wallet. It was a smaller event, and not as crowded as going to the larger Wine and Food Festival (which I have attended for many years). It was nice being at a smaller event and being able to go back to tables for seconds and thirds of food and beverage.

They also had a silent auction to help raise funds for the Kanata Food Cupboard. I would attend next year, I think it was a great evening - people dressed up somewhat, which also made it feel like a nice night out. We tried delicious Indian food, seared tuna, spring rolls, crepes, and many other treats. The wine/spirit reps were friendly and helpful as well. It reminded me of attending Bon Appetit, but on a smaller scale. We got there around 6:30pm and left around 7:30pm.

If you would like to see some more photos of the event, I have posted some more pics here www.mymacaronipie.com

Here is a link to the event details - kanatachamber.com

2011 Nov 18
That sounds like a neat event.

I had also seen last week they were trying to sell tickets online through those deal sites. The "offer" was 0% discount.
Kind of doubt they sold any tickets for that,lol.

If I was not at the other end of the city, it may have been a interesting event!
The food pictures look very good too!