Cinnabon [Food/Vendor]

2011 Nov 6
What is it about this time of the year and my craving for Cinnabon? Is it some correlation between the smell of cinnamon and the Christmas season? Is it my drive to pack on the fat to insulate my organs from the coming months of freezing cold?

Whatever it is, I got this really deep craving on Monday. I put a message on our internal communication network (electronic bulletin board) in the WANTED secton: Cinnabon Run.

I explained my problem and asked if anyone could help me out if they happened to walk by one of those shops on their way in to work. I got a reply from a clearly deranged woman who said she would be happy to pick up whatever I needed. I gave her the money and a Sir Wilfred Laurier for her trouble. The next day I went to her office and was met by almost everyone in her area who wanted to meet this kilted freak who had convinced her to perform this miracle in a season of miracles.

There were cries that I couldn't possibly eat all 6 of them myself and perhaps it would be a good idea if I left some behind. I laughed the threat off and beat it to my office where I had the first one straight from the microwave.

MMMmmmm. Pecans, cinnamon and all that cream cheese frosting. Delicious.

Then, the buzzards started to hover. They knew there was something in the air that they wanted. I dared not leave the office for any reason or I knew there would be nothing but a Cinnabon box left, picked clean of anything usable within.

I sold one to a close friend and gave another away for future favours owed [voice='Marlon Brando']"I do this favour for you now ..."[/voice].

The rest are gone, but the memory will sit in my stomach for a while.

2011 Nov 6
There is one in the Rideau Center nearby I think. Those things taste so good because they put in a lot of butter.

2011 Nov 6
Riz - I saw your ad at work, was tempted to find a box as a way to introduce myself. Unfortunately (?), I live nowhere near a Cinnabon.

2011 Nov 6
This recipe produces an IDENTICAL product to Cinnabon. I PROMISE. Just make them, and I'm sorry that you are going to have to buy larger pants.

2011 Nov 7
@Riz - i commend your use of office resources and unstable colleagues for your own evil purposes.

2011 Nov 7
@CapitalDigs - recipe?

2011 Nov 7
Haaaaha derp.

allrecipes.com

2011 Nov 7
Pants? That's crazy talk.

I actually got someone at work to give me the recipe. Well, I don't know if it's the recipe, but it's slightly different from that one:

ROLLS:

1/2 cup warm water
2 packages dry yeast
2 Tbl. sugar
3 1/2 oz. pkg. vanilla pudding mix
1/2 cup margarine −− melted
2 eggs
1 teas. salt
6 cups flour

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:

8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup margarine
1 teas. vanilla
3 cups confectioner's sugar
1 Tbl. Milk

To make frosting, mix all ingredients until smooth. In a bowl combine water, yeast and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Set aside. In large bowl, take pudding mix and prepare according to package directions. Add margarine, eggs and salt. Mix well. Then add yeast mixture. Blend.

Gradually add flour; knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down dough and let rise again.

Then roll out on floured board to 34 x 21" size. Take 1 cup soft butter and spread over surface. In bowl, mix 2 cups brown sugar and 4 teas. cinnamon. Sprinkle over top. Roll up very tightly. With knife, put a notch every 2". Cut with thread or knife. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet 2" apart. Take hand and lightly press down on each roll. Cover and let rise until double again. Bake at 350 15−20 minutes.

Remove when they start to turn golden. DON'T OVER BAKE. Frost warm rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting.

2011 Nov 8
I don't like Cinnabon that much.

maybe because I happen to hate cream cheese?

Trillium bakery sticky buns are very good and kind of remind me of Beavertails.
I have one left in the freezer,might have that for breakfast now!

2011 Nov 8
@Rizak I imagine they'd turn out pretty similar. I used the edited version of the recipe sans bread machine that was provided on allrecipes.com by "ANDYTAMI":

"Someone wanted to know how to make this without a bread machine, here is how. Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl. Mix in the sugar, margarine, salt, and eggs. Add flour and mix well. Knead the dough into a large ball, using your hands dusted lightly with flour. Put in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size. Then pick up with rolling out the dough. Hope this helped!"

@Prettytasty - A derision to cream cheese would probably ruin Cinnabon for ya! I'll have to check out Trillium on my next stroll down Bank. *Adds to the LONG list of food to eat in Ottawa*

2011 Nov 9
Trillium bakery sometimes has day old sticky buns at 1/2 price- so you get 6 buns for around $7.50 - they are whole wheat and have raisin in them.

Rideau Bakery also has a "cinnamon bun/sticky bun/pecan bun" - every person I spoke to there calls it something else.
-the dough is yellow and egg based, it has raisins in it and a lot of cinnamon and sugar- not really icing and maybe 3 or 4 pecans on the top (not enough for me to call it "pecan bun".

there is a small single serving size or a large bun that looks like a angel food cake or a ring. it is more bread than bun,I think. But it is very tasty.
I want to make french toast with it one day- but I seem to eat most of the Rideau bakery bun before even attempting this.

2011 Nov 9
Um, you asked complete strangers at work to pick up Cinnabons for you? No wonder you got a reply from a "clearly deranged woman" - she must have thought you were a clearly deranged man!

2012 Aug 22
MMMMmmmmmm. Cinnabon.

Yes. I woke up with that craving again. Now, you have it too.
My work here is done.

2012 Aug 23
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N1MoKF31mg

This is all I think of when I hear/smell/see cinnabon

2012 Aug 23
Rizak Sorry no Cinnabon craving here. Even the smell of the place makes me cringe... One of my university friends loved that place and dragged me in once. I had one bite and got an instant sugar headache afterwards. Although I didn't hear her complain when I pushed my Cinnabon towards her and insisted she finish it-;) Now some chocolate would be nice...

2012 Aug 23
I'm with you Rizak, except that the smell, cloying as it is, is always better than the taste and the gummy texture. I know a certain toy poodle that managed to devour a whole box of Cinnabons before his owner discovered him, and he was no worse for the wear, so they can't be too harmful to adult humans I guess. I'll take an Art-is-in sticky bun any day.

2012 Aug 23
I have never eaten anything from Cinnabon in my life, every time I walk past I tell myself that something that smells that good can not possibly live up to expectations. However, I have to go to the St Laurent Centre tomorrow, so I might have to give in and try it. What do you recommend for a Cinnabon virgin?

2012 Aug 24
A package of 6. Extra topping and pecans. Spread them around. Make friends.

God, I need one so badly right now. Instead, I'm stuck waiting around for the refrigerator repair guy to show up. I think I'm somewhere around the Nickleback rating on his list of places to visit today. They said sometime this morning. Or not. We haven't had cold food for days and I can't leave the house.

I has a sad.

2012 Aug 24
A package of 6 what? Do they only sell one thing?

2012 Aug 25
They sell cinnamon buns. Large, or small. I think they also have a kind of cinnamon 'stick', like french fried potatoes. I may be wrong. Yes. That's all that they sell. Maybe coffee. I haven't been to a mall since last Christmas, so I can't say for sure.

2012 Aug 27
Any other UBC alums remember their cinnamon buns fondly?
www.alumni.ubc.ca

How do you make the UBC cinnamon buns?
UBC students have been hoovering up these sticky treats for more than 50 years. Introduced in 1954 by a Hungarian baker named Grace Hasz, the bake shop produces 100 dozen buns daily. In recent years, Food Services has produced a miniature version of the cinnamon bun, responding to our modern belief that rich, delicious foods are bad for us. The traditional recipe calls for margarine rather than butter. But why? Probably because the original recipe was concocted post WWII when butter was hard to come by.

The one great omission here is raisins. For those of us who think raisins make anything taste better, distribute a cup of them on the dough just after you sprinkle on the filling.

Dough

3 cups (750 mL) 2% milk
6 tablespoons (90 mL) butter
6 tablespoons (90 mL) granulated sugar
1 tablespoon (15 mL) salt
1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water
2 (8 g) packages active dry yeast
2 large eggs
9 cups (2.25 L) all-purpose flour, about

Filling

11/4 cups (300 mL) sugar
2 tablespoons (30 mL) ground cinnamon
3/4 cup (175 mL) melted butter, divided

Dough:

Scald milk. Stir in butter, 6 tablespoons (90 mL) sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve the 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar in lukewarm water. Sprinkle yeast over water mixture. Let stand in warm place for 10 minutes; stir.

In large bowl, combine lukewarm milk mixture and eggs. Stir in dissolved yeast. Add 4 to 5 cups (1 to 1.25 L) flour and beat well for 10 minutes. With wooden spoon, gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough out on to lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, adding additional flour as needed. (This is a soft dough.) Place in well greased bowl and roll dough over to grease the top. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in warm place for 1 hour or until double in size.

Meanwhile prepare filling: In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside.

Punch down dough and turn out on to lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half.

Roll out each piece of dough into 18×9-inch (46×23 cm) rectangle. Brush each rectangle generously with melted butter. Place remaining melted butter in bottom of 161/2 x111/2 x21/2-inch (42x29x6 cm) pan.

Sprinkle an equal portion of sugar-cinnamon mixture evenly over each rectangle. Roll each dough rectangle up tightly like a jelly roll, starting from the long side; pinch seam to seal. With sharp knife, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) slices. Arrange slices, cut-side down, in prepared pan and cover loosely with greased wax paper. Let rise in warm place for 45 to 60 minutes or until doubled in size.

Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 35 to 45 minutes or until baked. Remove from oven and immediately invert on to serving tray.

Makes 18 large cinnamon buns.

2012 Aug 27
I like to make a sponge and/or let it rise in the fridge overnight--much better flavour development that way. However, it does add to the prep time, especially in the morning (have woken up at 5 am to take the dough or the assembled buns out of the fridge).