More foods at Costco [General]

2011 Nov 6
Baby Squash, 2 bags totalling 600g for $6.99.

2011 Nov 6
The easy way to get pomegranate seeds: Pomegranate arils 1 lb for $7.99

2011 Nov 8
That looks kind of neat, but also really wasteful.

I don't think actual pomegranates would cost $7.99 for that amount?
Guess if you do not want to do the work though...

2011 Nov 8
I imagine the target is all those people who won't buy a pom'te in the first place because of the bother.

I have a love/hate relationship with Costco produce generally. Despite the best of intentions things often turn mushy before we can finish them.

2011 Nov 8
Yeah, the volume at Costco can be a problem. My universal solution is...whip up a small batch of jam. Once you are in the rhythm of doing this it takes less than an hour, including processing--I do it while making dinner even.

2011 Nov 9
I haven't bought the pomegranates, because it is a huge volume - I can't think of anything I do with pomegranate that would require a full pound of seeds - but then I would likely have dismissed any recipe that required so many. How many pomegranates would you have to clean to get a pound of seeds? I guess I could put them through a juicer and make gelatin or put up some jelly. But I have bought the chanterelles twice over the past two weeks, and still finding new ways to enjoy them. I didn't post it but I also found large containers of mache there this week for IIRC $3.99 and made two huge salads for a potluck. There was an enormous and delicious loaf of fig and walnut quick bread that I served to 20 people at a tea for $5.99, but it was MIA last visit. The problem with costco is that their inventory changes so often that what you see today, you may never see again.

2011 Nov 9
Pomegranates are usually what, 2.50 or 3.00 each? I'm sure it takes at least two to get one pound so maybe I should buy these this year instead and not make a mess (not sure if they'll turn mushy quickly though). Put some in a small bowl and eat them with a spoon, we all love them at home.

2011 Nov 9
I bought those pomegranate seeds last summer and I used them with everything. Sprinkled on yogurt or cereal for breakfast, salads for dinner and straight up for snacks between concert going. I finished the package within a week. If they have any left when I head to Costco this weekend I will make a point of picking up some more. They are great for those of us who are too lazy to peel and seed a whole pomegranate-;)

2011 Nov 9
BTW those patty pan squashes look lovely. I bought some at the Atwater market a few years ago with some really small zucchinis, small eggplants, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and a Spanish onion and whipped up a ratatouille which froze nicely.

2011 Nov 9
I love those patty pans too, Pasta Lover. I used to get some in my weekly basket from Bryson Farms. I wonder if they sell them at their kiosk in Parkdale Market.

I really like many things at Costco. Their prepared pizza, not frozen, especially the meat lovers with nice bacon, ham, and sausage. Their croissants are very decent, as are their baguettes, cakes...Their greasy Brooklyn-style pepperoni pizza at the snack bar really hits the spot.

2011 Nov 9
Bacon I.V. I haven't been to the Parkdale Market since last spring and I don't recall seeing a Bryson Farms stand there. But it was early in the season (and definitely too early for their summer squashes) so they may not have had any veggies to sell yet. Actually I don't even recall seeing them at the Lansdowne market at all this year. Too bad I always loved their vegetables.

I like the way Costco tries to carry the odd Canadian product - Lac Brome duck and La Trappe a Fromage cheese come to mind.

2011 Nov 10
If anyone is looking for ways to use up pomegranate seeds I found this recipe on chowhound: www.chow.com