processing pumpkin [Cooking]

2011 Nov 1
Being that this is the season for really yummy pumpkin, anyone have suggestions on ways to process pumpkin?

I like to keep the seeds (kids love 'em as snacks), but I'd love some suggestions on the best or easiest or fastest way to get the flesh off the rind, and ways to store it, or make it pumpkin pie ready, ect, etc.

Anyone ever can pumpkin? Freezer space is a bit limited for me in the fall.

Thanks!

2011 Nov 1
It might be possible to store them in a barn, in bales of straw. Perhaps a way to keep them from freezing is to put a covered bucket of water in there with an aquarium heater. Or perhaps you have a cold room in a basement that won't freeze.

www.allaboutpumpkins.com

2011 Nov 1
Scoop out the insides, cut up, and then bake.

I've canned it successfully but you are not supposed to. Don't recall exactly what I did and whether or not I added some water to it.

Oh, at the end of my 2nd video I talk about adding water to can

2011 Nov 1
Zymurgist is right that you're not supposed to. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not you'd like to but here are a couple links:
www.foodinjars.com
www.foodinjars.com
www.seriouseats.com

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

(I'm not trying to say you shouldn't do it as I am no expert, just that people should be aware of the possible risks).

2011 Nov 2
are you sure you can't find any freezer space?

here is what i do, cook pumpkin like any squash. i half it, scoop seeds and cook unside down with a splash of water. once i can prick through the skin it is done. let cool, peel and then stick in your food processor. puree it very well. then i put it in a fine sieve and drain any extra liquid from it - i'll often weight it to speed the process.

finally, i measure it into 1 cup bags and freeze those bags. they take up no room and can fit into any size space you have in your freezer.

i use pumpkin for baking - pumpkin gingerbread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bars, pumpkin cupcakes.

2011 Nov 2
I am familiar with that PB&A

the funny thing is that you can buy cans of pumpkin puree in the supermarket - so obviously there is a way to can it safely

2011 Nov 2
I figured you were familiar with it, I meant it more for anyone else who was unfamiliar with the alleged risks in canning pumpkin. That being said, you can buy it at the grocery store although it seems like they use equipment not readily available to the home canner.

I don't like telling people what to do, but I just try and put the info out there.

2011 Nov 2
I would not waste time canning it when it freezes really well. Note to self make sure you label it in the freezer cause it looks damn similar to butternut squash when side by side. Am pretty sure I have baked a few butternut squash pies and also made some pumpkin curry soup.

2011 Nov 2
Not all of us have 8 freezers ottawafoodies.com - or however many you have these days :-)

2011 Nov 2
lol! Funny you say that, Zymurgist, I have 8 freezers, but they are packed with pork, chicken, lamb, beef, sausage, ham, bacon, etc., this time of year.

I might be able to squeeze in some flat bags of pumpkin puree as HFF suggested though. Another month or two and the freezers will be far emptier, and hopefully, pumpkins still available.

So I haven't read thru all the links yet, do any of them say WHY pumpkin shouldn't be canned? Is it an acidity issue?

2011 Nov 2
AFAIK, it's a PH/botumlism issue. I believe that the USDA has instructions for canning it cubed, but not as a puree.

nchfp.uga.edu

I hope this helps! :) They will also store reasonably well in cool, dry conditions. I always buy up lots of buttercup squash this time of year to take me into January. ;)

2011 Nov 2
It is the way canning works and the way the contents get up to temperature to make it safe. As I recall it is convection currents within the food. But pumpkin is too thick for that to happen.

2011 Nov 2
Well, you can pickle pumpkin in vinegar, so why not can pickled pumpkin? Why not?

allrecipes.com

2011 Nov 2
Yes, Sam I am, yes, yes you can ! (But would you eat them on a boat? Would you eat them with a float?)

www.bernardin.ca

www.chow.com

2011 Nov 3
It has to do with both the acidity level of pumpkin and the density of it once it's pureed. You can can chunks of pumpkin in vinegar which removes both of the problems, but that isn't particularly useful if you're looking to make pies. If you just want some pumpkin snacks though, then go for it.

I'll repost this link, the article's called "Why pumpkin butter can't be canned" but it applies to plain pumpkin puree all the same.

www.foodinjars.com

ps. In addition to my early post, I've seen it noted that commercial canned pumpkin often has citric acid or another agent added in order to increase the acidity. Combined with different technology than is available at home, they're able to safely can pumpkin.

2011 Nov 3
I have some pumpkin marmalade here- pumpkin and gin marmalade to be exact.
It was locally made in Quebec- they use the pumpkin rind for that I think- it does not look like pumpkin in the jar though.

I still have 1 jar unopened here,I can try and take a pic later today.
It is actually quite spicy. hope they can make more this year- bought one of the last jars last year...

2011 Nov 4
You know, I'm beginning to appreciate the taste of vinegar on more than just fries, or salt and vinegar chips. And I had sugar and vinegar pie out east in Tadoussac once, and it was pretty good.

So pumpkin canned n vinegar may be quite good for making pie, as well as a snack. I'd like to try it. We have another uncarved pumpkin leftover from halloween . . .

2011 Nov 5
Oh! not pumpkin, but I sometimes buy some sugar free blueberry jam for my stepfather.
The small company that makes it in Maine, they use vinegar with the blueberries.

Just looked at their site and do not see it, it was there this winter though and is supposed to be very good. So good that the jars I ordered I never got to try them as they were eaten right away...

2011 Nov 6
I needed some cloves to make this pickled pumpkin. Are they ever expensive at the supermarket - a small bottle costs $8. I bought it, but later I also found some at Kowloon Market. For twice as much the price was $1.39. They had cinnamon bark there too and I got some of it as well.

2011 Nov 8
I've found that you can get a lot of spices cheaper at the supermarkets if they have both an 'ethnic' aisle and a spice/baking aisle. I know that at some Loblawses (Loblawsi?) you can get bags of cloves, coriander, fennel, cumin and more where they keep the Indian food and it's cheaper there then in the other aisle. Of course, other little stores often sell cheaper spices as well.

Or I'm sure you can pay more at Market Organics or Herb and Spice or something and you might get a better quality? I'm not sure what the variance on quality of spices is.

2011 Nov 9
Nuts online is great for spice- got a large 1lb of pickling spices w no salts added for around $5. they are in US but shipping and tax is shown online so no extra fees.
also 2 day shipping.

My only issue is I spend too much as I like many of their dried fruits and nuts (don't buy the buffalo peanuts esp! they are too good).

paid $15 for 1lb ceylon cinnamon- now have a huge bag cinnamon!

and they just sent me a email for spend $50 get a package pumpkin fudge....